Unanswered: Help with Error Message

I am getting a strange error message when running an Append Query (Operation must use an updateable query). This is a append query I have been running for 2 years and it has always worked. Lately I have had a coworker run the reports for me, and now something has happened, and I don't have a clue. The query runs fine when it is not in append status. The real problem is this has happened to about 31 queries that where in a macro. All 31 queries are having the same problem. Any ideas?

Provided Answers: 10
    What is the error message?
    George
    Home | Blog

Agreed with George, it's hard for us to diagnose an error when you don't tell us what the error is

If I had to venture a guess, since it's on an append error, is it giving you a message something like "You are about to append X row(s) to a table. Is this OK?". If this is like the message you are getting, try putting a

DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
    DoCmd.SetWarnings True

around your SQL.

Give it a go, but we need the error msg if we are to properly try (5th bullet pt).
    Me.Geek = True

Whenever I set a new user up to use one of my databases, I have to make a few adjustments to their computers. Those "You are about to delete X rows" tend to cause them to be gun-shy.

Turn them off permanently by going to:
    Tools-->Options and under the Edit/Find tab, uncheck Confirm
    Record Changes and Action Queries
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

A problem affecting 31 append queries to me might mean something has changed with the table design or properties of MSAccess and the way it handles the records. Are you able to add new records directly into the tables themselves?

Are you also sure you didn't check something else in the properties which perhaps locks all records for editing? (ie. Advanced tab - Default record locking.)
    Last edited by pkstormy; 07-31-07 at 13:27.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Error Message

If you are using another query as your source check the relationships.

The error message is "Operation must use an updateable query". I have already set my SetWarnings command in my macro, so the user doesn't receive the normal "you are about to delete X number of rows" or " you are about to append to X number of rows" it use to just do it's thing. I am starting to think something has happened to one of the tables.

Well, I Googled "Operation must use an updateable query", and Microsoft's Support Page was the first to come up. Did you take a look there yet? They list four possible reasons for getting this msg.

If so, and you're still having problems, would you mind telling us a little more? Maybe give us a screenshot?
    Me.Geek = True

How can it be that a few of us missed this in post #1:

Quote Originally Posted by quannah
    I am getting a strange error message when running an Append Query (Operation must use an updateable query)...
    And responded as if we didn't know the nature of the problem?
    I've got to find some better coffee.

How about posting some SQL for us? (We'll try not to missing anything there )
    Last edited by RedNeckGeek; 08-01-07 at 14:59.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Provided Answers: 10
    Quote Originally Posted by RedNeckGeek
    How can it be that a few of us missed this in post #1 ...
    And responded as if we didn't know the nature of the problem?
    Because we're programmers who need explicit instructions or we're just guessing Oh no... wait... yeah
    George
    Home | Blog

I saw the "I am getting a strange error message when running an Append Query (Operation must use an updateable query)..."

My thoughts are since he was in the Tools -> Options, perhaps something got changed (ie. Advanced tab - > Record Locking

Since it happens on all 31 of his queries, it seems to me it must be option setting or table structure change.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)