Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: lessons learned database

I have been hired to create a "lessons learned" database for a govt agency. Has anyone done something similar to this? Can anyone offer me advice, pointers or even code to peruse?

Right now, I'm looking at whatever I can find on Google, including screen shots.

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 10
    What's a "lessons learned" database?
    Seriously... I haven't got a clue!
    George
    Home | Blog

I think that Mike is asking for a database which does either of the following things:

1. Keeps track of training which people have gone through.
    OR
    2. Has like a "I was asked to do this...", "I did this...", and "I learned this..."

lessons learned db

A "lessons learned" db is one which gov't or private organizations refer to when they need to sum up issues arising from projects. Each person adds an issue or question, usually from their client db, during or after a project.

Ok, so you want like an AAR (After Action Review) database? Much like a project progression tracking database?

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    What's a "lessons learned" database?
    Seriously... I haven't got a clue!
    WELL ... That's because you haven't learned your lessons yet ... If you had, you'd know ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

AAR (after action report) - Now that's a term I haven't heard in years (and God do I remember having to do so many of them.)

Grafixx01 has the right idea - try searching on "After Action Reports". You may find something similar to your needs.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

sounds like a simple solution...

just create a forums, use phpBB its easy to dl and install and easy to maintain and use.

upload it to either an internal site or a website that can be accessed from anywhere.

I thought phpBB (or phpCollab which is what I used) was more for tracking projects but maybe I'm wrong jwalker343. Can you shed more light on it? It's also been a few years since I used phpCollab.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

phpBB would not be appropriate. The lessons learned stuff I have dealt with is like to achieve x you do a and/or b,c. So would just a simple form with the program, team, and a few memo boxes work?
    Ryan
    My Blog

Graffixx - this link will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Click on the Product Overview for a snapshot.

http://www.secutorsolutions.com/Defa...?View=Products

Mike

rguy - think you've got the idea...

Mike

Mike, The screen shot there is roughly what I had in mind...
    So...What part do you need help with
    Ryan
    My Blog

What I had in mind is - any experienced advice on how to set it up like what that screen shot has? I'd like to use that as my model.

I have a kick-off meeting with gov't client tomorrow and I'll get more info as I go..but right now I'm just looking for any advice from people who've done this.

BTW, I did some work on a LLDB a few years ago that someone else had created. Seemed pretty simple. Didn't pay too much attention to it at the time.

Too bad none of those Access book authors use it as an example. Not every project is all about your CD/DVD collection, lol!

Mike