Thread: Its funny...

Unanswered: Its funny...

So after all the time I spent on that database I made, they're not using it. But it's funny cause my friend at another military base has it and his brigade is using it, plus there are brigades on my post that want it! Funny stuff!

Now my friend on the other base is asking me to design like 3 other databases for him and his organization!

Geez...I wonder if I can put it on my resume?

Hey Bryan,

Long time that I haven't heard from you. At least you're getting some satisfaction on your design. What's even more frustrating is when they tell you they are not going to use it and buy some off-the-shelf product which needs to be customized (and they want YOU to make the customizations in that product.) Talk about adding insult to injury.

Or they pay another consultant thousands of dollars to do something which isn't even close to what your program does (and it takes a year for that consultant to develop it.) I personally, have found consultant/programming companies to be more salesman and "right connections" than "real-life" experience as they usually send their staff to a 2 week programming course and then set them loose on a project. (But hey now, I also own one of those consulting/programming companies.)

Glad to hear that it's at least being used by someone. You worked hard on it and the lessons you learned doing it - NO ONE can take that away from you.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 07-31-07 at 13:43.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Paul,

There's no way that I'd ever customize a COTS package. I couldn't take any pride in what the end result is!

I work for the place I am at in the summers. They say they will use it so much. I come back and the database I made hasn't been touched since a few weeks after I leave.
    Ryan
    My Blog

Yeah, see, that's what pisses me off. It's like, you ask me to do this, to make YOUR job easier, not mine and you're not even going to use it? Well, why the heck did you ask me to do it then?

exactly! Yeah it put money in my pocket, but still
    Ryan
    My Blog

Provided Answers: 10
    That's what change management is for
    We don't start any project until we can prove it's worth.

Then again at the end of the day you get paid to produce something, if they don't use it then it's not money well spent on their part!
    George
    Home | Blog