Unanswered: Suggest a good reference book please

Hi guys. I'm a new programmer and I'm about to embark on a task that will allow an access student database to write to a SQL database. I would like to know of any good books that you guys would suggested on databases and this topic.

Thanks in advance

My favorite is the Access 2000 Developer's Handbook (volume I and II) by Sybex (Litwin, Getz, and Gilbert). I use a lot of the coding snippets which come on the cd with these books.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

thanks so much. I will check that book out. Will it help for Access 2003?

Definately! Sybex probably has a 2003 version out but the sample snippets in the 2000 books will carry you for years. The book is blue and is about 2-3 inches thick with a cd in the back.

Here's a link to get you started: http://www.amazon.com/Access-2000-De.../dp/0782123716 (for Volume 2 - look for Volume 1)

The thing I like about the book is I don't need to start with chapter 1 but can use it as a reference guide, selecting which parts I need to do a specific thing. 90% of what I ever need to do is in these books. They even touch up on business logic which is one of key essentials to writing a good program. I also like the fact that I don't need to run a setup program to install their samples and can instead, copy the cd as is directly to a folder on my drive and then simply open each of the mdb files and look at the sample code and book. I can easily copy the code from the sample mdb to my mdb. The cd has folders in it which follow the chapters in the book and has everything from getting started techniques to advanced techniques.

But there are also a LOT of other good MSAccess/VBA books out there. Each person is different how they learn so I can't guarantee this is the only book for you. I distributed it to the other developers I managed and they really liked it. It may not necessarily be a basic beginners book but this is one of the key reference books I use.

I think there might be a student database example in it. Also do a search for this on google as you will probably find many examples to look at. You might also want to look at the Northwind database which comes with MSAccess. Suprisingly, this mdb also has a lot of good example code. I found that looking at example code by others was a good way to learn (although I had one developer who was stubborn and wouldn't look at anyone elses code.) Needless to say, he was difficult to teach new techniques to. I think some people just have that stubborness to learn from others.

Regardless, when I shop for a book, I thumb through it looking at how easy it is to understand the examples. If they jump around a lot and aren't easy to follow, I pass.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 08-02-07 at 21:16.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

I aggree with pkstormy that the "Access Developer's Handbook Set" (Paul Litwin, Ken Getz, Mike Gunderloy) is probably the best reference for MS Access. I think the official website is @ http://www.developershandbook.com/

Is you are just starting MS Access, then I'd recommend "Grover Park George On Access" by George Hepworth.

Other books I recommend
    - To learn SQL: "SQL, Second Edition (Visual QuickStart Guide)"
    By Chris Fehily
    - A quick and hande VBA reference: "VB and VBA in a Nutshell: The Languages"
    By Paul Lomax
    - Another nice VBA reference/solution book: "Access 2003 Programming by Example with VBA, XML, and ASP"
    By Julitta Korol
    http://AccessDB.Info

You live and learn. At any rate, you live. - Douglas Adams

Talking

And I agree wholeheartedly with PK and Cosmos. This is a great reference book as well as a good tool for beginners, from where I stand. It really helped me a lot, and though I am not a guru like these guys are, it was a tremendous help and I picked up the entire 2-volume set brand new for $60.00 at: http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0782123708
    So we all agree on that one and you should maybe give it a go.

have a nice one,
    Bud

Provided Answers: 6
    I'm with Paul on the ADH books. Since it looks like you'll be working with SQL Server, I also like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Acce.../dp/0672319446

I've got a bunch of books but those 2 are the ones that are dog-eared from use.
    Paul