Let's say I have an ASE 12.5 server here and I want to migrate it to Oracle. This exercise will be like a mock migration. If I missed something here, pls feel free to correct me.
These are the things that I'll be doing:
1. Create temporary tablespaces
2. Create data tablespaces
3. Extract scripts from ASE using DB Artisan
4. Modify create table scripts to define appropriate tablespace
5. Compile stored procedures and functions
6. Populate table data
I've got some questions regarding tablespace creation and data population
1. Can you manually allocate the extent of a table if table resides on LMT type tablespace? I've read somewhere that its better to extend segments before doing data population
2. I plan to use SQL Loader to populate data into Oracle, but is there a way on how to extract data from ASE in tabulated format (or with the right field delimiter) so that you can define them in SQL Loader config file?
you can use oracle migration workbench to extract data from ASE in tabulated format easily.
I forgot to inform you that when I migrated 2 databases from ASE to Oracle, instead of creating another database instance, OMW just created a separate tablespace to serve as container for the other database. Is this OMW's default behavior or did I just forgot to specify something?