Unanswered: database encryption

Hi,

I am trying to encrypt my database using some softwares, For that i have to install the software and encrypt database accordingly, i have a querry that will my database remain encrypted if i uninstall the encryption software??
    The software i am using are dbEncrypt,Netlib,XP_Crypt,Rsa Bsafe.

Thanx

Divya

Quote Originally Posted by divya4k2007
    I am trying to encrypt my database using some softwares, For that i have to install the software and encrypt database accordingly, i have a querry that will my database remain encrypted if i uninstall the encryption software??
    The software i am using are dbEncrypt,Netlib,XP_Crypt,Rsa Bsafe.
    Most likely yes, and depending on how "safe" the program is, you might actually end up loosing all the data, though I don't think it's very likely.

However, I would like you to think a bit whether you actually need to encrypt the database or not. Most of the time I see people ask for encryption, it's not really neccessary. One of there rare instances where I can see the use for it is databases installed on laptops, and in that case I recommend using EFS. I know that SQL Server 2005 supports EFS, and as it should be transparent to the application it should work in SQL Server 2000 as well, though I have not tested it.
    Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - MSSQL.no - Facebook - Twitter

Mh... yeah, Microsoft EFS might be a better option than dbencrypt and RSA Bsafe, but their key management is very insecure. Yes it works for user files on laptops, I don't think it's designed specifically for database servers or server side components, check out Bloombase, Datafort and Thales for better options.