Unanswered: Set report fields to not visible when a report opens

Don't know if this is possible (newbie at work). Can you set the visible property of a report field and its' label to not being visible in a report's on open event. We have a report that we would like to be able to selectively hide some fields and their associated headers when the report opens. The choice of the fields would vary depending on the group accessing the report. Is this possible? If so, what would be the best approach to accomplishing it?

Yes, use the visible property of the control.

Depending on the number of groups and controls that you need to have visible or not you can...

1 - use if statements
    2 - use a select satement
    3 - create a different report to open for different groups

Provided Answers: 59
    yes its perfectly possible. the main issue I can see is trying to work out who should see what, and trying to identify who belongs to which group.

if you are using access security you could assign each person to a relevant usergroup and assign permission based on that.

I'm not sure when you can expressly change controls properties.. it may be int he on load even, or the on open event, you may even need to look at other events.

<mycontrolname>.visible= <state>
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Hi rogue and healdem,

Thank you both very much for your response. You have given me food for thought. I appreciate your help. It is hell not being knowledgeable. I will try the suggestions and repost with the outcome.

REFIN

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by REFIN
    Hi rogue and healdem,

Thank you both very much for your response. You have given me food for thought. I appreciate your help. It is hell not being knowledgeable. I will try the suggestions and repost with the outcome.

REFIN

we've all got to start somewhere, and providing you make an effort to do something yourself you'll (usually) find theres lots of people here who will try and help out. its the comedians who expect us to provide them with fully tailored solutions right now that make some people very circumspect about providing such solutions. IMHV it also helps if you try to encourage people to analyse the problem... its amazing how much more you learn by ferreting through the hep file and your own code.

good luck, and if you hit a glitch (and Im guessing you will), please feel free to come right on back
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Hi rogue and healdem,

Thanks again to you both. Setting the visible property in the on open event did the trick. Being an amateur, at first when I tried to enter the value me.fieldA.visible = true, I could only get to me.fieldA. and did not see visible as a member of the properties available. Finally (duh!) I tried tying the statement and tried to run the report from the program and it worked. I appreciate your assistance. Thanks again.

healdem, I agree with your comments. I believe that this forum should (and does) provide assistance to lead to potential solutions that the user must then use as reference to undertake and accomplish their effort. To do all the work for the user defeats the learning process, particularly for people with limited background (like me). You guys are great. Keep up the good work, it is appreciated!!!