Unanswered: Viewing query in EM is Blocking

EDIT: Oops in the title. I meant "EM" not "IE".

I'm on a Dev database (full copy). In EM (that is running on the Dev server) I run a view that I used to build the list of rows to be updated.

SQL 2000 Std SP3 on Win 2000 Server.

When I cut-n-Pasted the clause to my "Update" statement in Query Analyser and try to run it, to my surprised, it got hung up.

I looked in EM to see Locks, and to my surprise my EM View Display is blocking the Update! So; I press "Cancel" on my EM View display and, whammo, the update goes.

I tested and it's consistant and does not matter what column I'm updating.

Is this normal behaviour for EM?

EDIT: I tried the exact same scenerio, in the exact same EM and QA screens, but this time remoting over to the Production box (since it's midnight). The blocking did not occur. Weird!
    Last edited by vich; 08-09-07 at 04:44. Reason: typo

Provided Answers: 6
    the EM in sql2k is not an ideal peice of software. real DBAs do not let friends use the EM. script everything. it will save you time and heart ache down the road and make you a better database guy.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Thanks.

Yeah; I scripted everything for a few years when I did Oracle. Got carpal tunnel.

Now I begin with EM because it types my column names for me. Then paste into QA and add stuff around. For sub queries, I do another, etc. One day I'll switch to Toad since half the industry is there and surely a bigger ship won't let me use EM, but query generation (for me) has been a tremendous time saver.

Our database is highly normalized and linking 10 tables is not at all unusual. Although I do love puzzles, sometimes spending only 2 minutes to build a complex query with 10 tables, well, impresses the users and particularly my boss (the owner) who wants some custom query at least 3 times a week, and walks to my office for the results 2 minutes later sometimes standing over me as I finish it. Also; I'm a little dislexic and similarly named columns have caused errors in the past.

I hear you though. It helped tremendously for those 3 years of solid typing.

Check out PromptSQL (intellisense for SQL Server). At one time it was trivial in cost but it has been bought out be RedGate. Still well worth the money imo.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.