Unanswered: What falls into the role of 'Oracle DBA'?

Hi all,

Just wanted to do a quick survey - if you call yourself an Oracle DBA does this mean that you understand Oracle databases and can administer them, or does this mean that you can do that, as well as having an in-depth knowledge of java, Oracle programming, Oracle web servers and anything that can run using Oracle in one form or another?

For example, should an Oracle DBA be able to solve an error such as 'ORA-29532 Java call terminated by uncaught java exception', or is this more of an Oracle / Java programmers job?

Just interested as I'm not sure whether I'm lacking in training or whether I am being asked to do things that do not really fall into my remit as DBA.

Thanks,
    Paula.

Provided Answers: 11
    The bigger the shop, the more specialized you become. In general, though, while Java is nice to have, it is not generally required for most Oracle DBA jobs. Go dump this on the desk of the guy that wrote it.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    IMO, a DBA should be at least conversant in what ever is "on the other side of the fence" from the database.
    I'll provide 1 real world example.
    Some of the applications which interact with production Oracle DB are written in Java.
    In the past with high frequency the application would report it could not connect to the DB.
    Out of desparation, I broke out a Beginning Java manual & wrote a 6 line Java program that connected to Oracle & display the results from V$VERSION.
    Running this program would confirm that properly written Java could succeed in making a connection to the DB & get data back from it.
    By having this concrete & irrefutable evidence that the problem was NOT in/on the Oracle database, I was able to get the Java coders to look at their application code.

The more knowledge the DBA has of the whole application infrastucture, the better it will be for the whole organization (& the DBA too).
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by anacedent
    The more knowledge the DBA has of the whole application infrastucture, the better it will be for the whole organization (& the DBA too).
    Nicely put...

My $.02 - the most successful DBAs dig into the details at all levels - application, server, network, business... it's all inter-related.

There are times though - like your example - that it's totally outside of your domain. Just because it's an ORA-xxxx doesn't mean the problem is in the database.