Unanswered: Strange Error Message

Mircosoft can't send a message for the reason in the preceding Alert

One of my users got this message after running a report and attempting to send it in snapshot format via Access's File Menu -- Send To action. I've personally done the same thing as have many others without this warning.

Perhaps weirder there was no preceding alert. Has anybody run into this type of error before, and if so how did you get around it??

Does the user have the snapshot viewer installed? I think it needs to be installed in order to OUTPUT to that format.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Yes, snapshot viewer is installed, but the error also happens when all other types are selected as the output type.

Strange - so far it looks like this has something to do with an Outlook issue. Still looking for a work around.

Sorry, that's all I got - and only because I had to deal with the same thing
    earlier today.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Yes! - I had this issue just a few days ago (http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=1621153) This mentions a Word document as an attachment but the error was the same even if I tried sending a snapshot attachment. I was also getting the same error you got "Mircosoft can't send a message for the reason in the preceding Alert" when I was troubleshooting it.

I think the problem lays with not having a "To" and setting the Edit Message to False verses True as well as if there was possibly an upgrade of Office Outlook or Service Pack on that machine. I don't think with Outlook 2003+ (SP2) you can have an attachment without specifying a "To" and must use the docmd.sendobject supplying a "To" parameter along with the Edit Message option set to False (seems like a BIG problem to me for a lot of people who send attachments.) Also, if they are using Outlook Express, try switching to Outlook which resolved the issue for some people.

Let me know how this turns out as I'm curious if this resolves your problem.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 08-09-07 at 16:55.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

That's possibly the weirder bit - I'm not using any code. This error occurs when I'm using Access's built in Send To option from the File menu.

I can use the same DB which is a very simple .mdb from my machine with no problems. Both machines are using Outlook 2003. The only strange bit is that the machine with the problem is using Access 2K.

Thanks for your response though - this is a head scratcher.

Yep. Read my post again. When you click the Send To option from the File menu - you're not specifying WHO it's going to - thus you "must" use the docmd.sendobject command and specify this (with the Edit Message option set to False.)

I tried the same thing as you did and was wondering why I couldn't send an attachment using the Send To option from the File Menu (and not via any code!)

If you can find a way to do it without using the docmd.sendobject command, let me know (that's why I think this is a "BIG" problem) (or I've missed something in my research on this). I was not able to find a way to do it via the File Menu and Send To.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 08-09-07 at 18:06.

Well what a crock - MS's own security update disabled their own menu functionality? Does anybody have Bill's home phone number?

Well it looks like I'll have to proved my own menu using the docmd.sendobject with all the right parameters. Thanks for your help on this. Just for giggles though I'm going to try and get an answer from our friends at MS.

Thanks again.

There is some help on the way. I've used a program called: Blat which is a very small server side program for sending out email attachments. It works very well.

Let me know if you find anything with the big-wigs.