Unanswered: F11 nor Shift on open reveals database window

I have a database that I personally created on our work network. All of a sudden, it will not let me get to the database window.
    F11 does not work (I get a "flicker", but nothing else).
    Shift while open does not work.

What happened???

Thank you.....

Did it somehow get converted to a .exe?

Is the menu bar visible - can you get to Tools -> Startup? Or possibly Window -> Unhide
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Exe? Not that I can tell...
    Yup... do have menu bar. Can get to Startup.
    Rechecked "show database window" and that didn't help at all...
    dangedest thing I ever saw....

I dunno... Maybe you got a busted shift key

So you check "Show Database Window", and when you exit and come back in,
    it's "unchecked" again? I thought there was a way to turn off "Allow Shift Bypass", but I can't find it...

Yes, when I come back into the database, all the options in the Startup window are still checked.....gremlins?

Thanks for trying to help.....

*grasping at straws*

Did you try a compact & repair? (I don't actually think it will help, but it's worth a shot)

Yup... tried that too.... evil gremlins....

Okay....you're gonna love this.
    I ran the analyzer (documenter) on the database, and maximized the report. When I closed the report down, there was my database window behind the report. When I tried to minimizer (not "minus", just make smaller) the db window...it disappeared.... go figure...

When you go to the Windows menu, does it list the database window?
    If not, is the Unhide option enabled?

OR

Has your startup form gotten set to popup and/or modal?
    Can you change to form design and then navigate away?

And.... I closed the database with the db window maximized and reopened the file, and now everything works just fine (f11, shift, don't display db window...etc).... Maybe this will help someone else.

mdb minimizing and cannot restore

Quote Originally Posted by sonarc
    Okay....you're gonna love this.
    I ran the analyzer (documenter) on the database, and maximized the report. When I closed the report down, there was my database window behind the report. When I tried to minimizer (not "minus", just make smaller) the db window...it disappeared.... go figure...
    This sounds like a case of a form or reports' modal property being set to modal = Yes (most likely the report set as modal = Yes given the symptoms you've described but it could be a form - ie.. everything works fine when you reopen the mdb file but when you open a modal report or a modal form and resize it, things seem to disappear). I believe it also affects using the F11 key and the "flicker" result you've stated but I'm confused when you say the shift key trick doesn't work.

If you set a pop-up "Form" to modal = Yes and then "resize" it before opening a report, everything minimizes and seems to "disappear", not letting you get to the Access file again or sometimes not even seeing it in the task bar at the bottom and you need to open Task Manager to end the MSAccess task (or go to it or somehow get to that form/report again by minimizing everything else on your desktop and clicking on it in the lower left corner). Try setting a Form to a pop-up and modal with a button that first minimizes the form and then opens the report. When you click the button you'll see what I mean. "Everything" seems to disappear. I believe strange things also happen with a Report Modal set to true.

To fix this (for a form), either change the Modal property of the form to No or make the form invisible (ie. me.visible=False) or close the form before opening the report. Then make sure you set the form visible again when the report closes.

I haven't worked much with setting a "Report" Modal property = true (just Forms) but I'm guessing this can have the same strange results doing this. If you minimize/resize the Report, MSAccess sees it as still being open with it having the focus and will make your database "disappear" whereas closing it restores the focus to your database - such as the symptoms you've described. I will try and experiment with this and get more info for you.

Making "Forms" modals is a great way to keep users from accidently clicking on another form and preventing a form from "disappearing" to the background. It forces users to do something with that form before they can do anything else. The same is true with Reports. But you have to be careful when setting the modal property to true, especially when opening reports. I'm not 100% sure but most likely making a Report Modal = Yes is a way to prevent users from returning to a form and forces them to close the Report but it has undesireable results should you minimize or resize a report.

Please let me know if this is the case with your situation. There's another thing I just had pop in and out of my head but I'd like to know if this is the problem.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 08-10-07 at 20:58.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Thank you for your input...
    No, I did not set anything to "modal"...I've run into trouble with that before. The "report" I did wasn't mine...it was a built-in analyzer diagnostic within Access. When I got through with that, the db window reappeared. It wouldn't resize (minimizing it made if vanish again), so I left it maximized, closed the program, reopened it, and everything worked okay.

This whole problem originally occurred after the database had been in operation quite some time, and no one had made any changes to it. It just started the issue out of the blue. But, it's working okay now. I'm clueless as to the cause or the actual cure.

Thank you all again for your input. Thank you for just "being there" when we need you.

j
    Last edited by sonarc; 08-13-07 at 11:19.

Sorry about that sonarc. I was sure it was a modal thing. I didn't read closely enough that it was a built in Access Report. I was curious to so I ran the Analyzer but I couldn't get it to reproduce your situation. I wonder if multiple users in it had anything to do with it.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 08-13-07 at 12:11.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)