Thread: Access Project

Unanswered: Access Project

Dont mean to be thick, but can anyone tell me whats the difference between MS Access & MS Access Project?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    MS Access Data Project acts as a front end for MS SQL Server. MS Access uses it's own internal database.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Teddy, Thanks...

So if a front end of the database is written in Project, is it easily exported into Access?
    Which is best Project or using an ODBC connection to SQL Server from an Access front end?

Microsoft Project is a different platform entirely...

Provided Answers: 6
    Presuming you mean ADP when you say Project, this is one of those things you'll get differing opinions on. Personally I think using an MDB is more flexible (and that's what I use), but you'll hear from very qualified people who believe the ADP is the better solution. In the end you have to weigh the pros and cons of each and choose your own "best".
    Paul

Is there a website you could recomend so that I could read about what ADP has to offer, so I can make a judgement?

I agree with pbaldy and found ADP's to be more trouble than what they were worth.

I had one of our developer's working on an ADP and he deleted the tables in the ADP and found that he actually deleted the tables on the SQL Server by deleting them in the ADP. After restoring the backup, I had enough issues dealing with ADP and cut-off all ADP work.

Personally, I can develop faster with an mdb and SQL Server linked tables verses an ADP but that's probably not a fair assessment against those who work regularly with ADP's.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 08-13-07 at 20:21.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Thanks, pkstormy...

It seems to me that mdb is a safer option for the end user than adp's. The last thing as a developer is deleting tables straight from the source (SQL Server).
    How easy would it be if a databse was built in adp to replicate it as an mdb?
    Can you export forms from the adp into the mdb, like you can between 2 mdb's?

Pretty much. The forms and such behave almost identically from the developer standpoint between an adp and an mdb. Naturally you'll run into a hitch or two if you're expecting to call some sql server specific functions in your datasources and whatnot. Overall moving forms and reports is pretty easy.

FWIW, deleting tables directly from SQL Server shouldn't be the slightest concern if you have a marginally sane security model.