Unanswered: Help with taking over and modifying a current Access DB

So to start off I should just let everyone know that I am very new to the whole database thing, and thus far have avoided it at all cost.

Present day.. I have recently taken over a position at work where i am constantly tracking / updating employee records.. currently there is a database done in ms access that has most of the information i need, however i need to update / add / modify this database to suit the current needs and am not really sure where to begin.

I have a table / query / etc all setup currently and in the form i would like to add a few tabs .. which obviously are linked to a table .. etc ..but do not know what to do 1st.

I want to add a "issues" tab and in that have a incident date / memo area for the issue / resolution (followup) date

but i want it to be linked to each employee.. so when i pull up the users in the form .. by there employee ID .. i want when i move to the issues tab for it to populate with the issues that have been put in there .. and to give me the option to create a new issue ..

Anyone able to help ?

Provided Answers: 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Specc
    but do not know what to do 1st.
    Design the table structures to fit your new fields to store the new data!

Ask yourself these questions and pick the appropriate one (and post it back here):
    • One employee can have one issue
    • One employee can have many issues
    • Many employees can have many issues
    George
    Home | Blog

well .. many employees can have many issues

Thank you for your help

Great! We break down M:M relationships into 2 x 1:M (M:1 + 1:M = M:M) through the use of something called an interim table. Here's an example.

Employees(EmployeeID, Surname, Forename, DOB, etc)
    EmployeeIssues(EmployeeID, IssueID)
    Issues(IssueID, Description, etc)

Please ask questions if you don't understand!
    George
    Home | Blog

i understand what your talking about .. i just do not know if i can implement that properly to get the expected results.

I have the "Employees(EmployeeID, Surname, Forename, DOB, etc)" portion done already and its functional in other areas .. so tying that to the issues would be the part i have to try ...

I appreciate your assistance with this

Well, give it a go and let us know how you get on
    Good luck - you can do it!
    George
    Home | Blog