Unanswered: Import / Export 10g to 8.1.7 & vice versa

I want to export data from Oracle 10g rel 2 and import that dump in Oracle 8.1.7 using the imp/exp utility though unix shell script. What I should to automate this process. I need both way import & export.

10G -> 8I EXPORT USING 8I EXP UTILITY, Import using 8i import utility

8i -> 10G export using 10g EXP utility, Import using 10g import utility.

Please be aware if the objects in the 10G database use any type that is not in 8i (timestamp columns for example), the export by the 8i EXp utility will fail.

If you have to move data around, why don't you simply setup a database link and use normal selects, inserts, and deletes.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

In fact, we need to transport dump where dblink is not possible, and we have to load data of selected tables in lower version of Oracle Database, i.e., 8.1.7 from Oracle 10g rel. 2. and vice versa. So we have to use export utility of 8.1.7. When we use it, it returns "Segmentation fault after connected to the database.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    IIRC, thinking back to last century, V8.1.7 exp had many bugs.
    With a desupported version (v8.1.7) I doubt you can even open a Service Request, so what we have is:

Rock<=>You<=>Hard Spot

I'm glad I am not in your position.

BTW, what Operating systems names & versions involved?
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Provided Answers: 4
    How about another approach? Reading your last post, I got a feeling that you have to transfer several tables (not full export or similar). So, it is a matter of few clicks/lines of code to create CSV files based on those tables (if possible).

Once you have them, use SQL*Loader to load them into another database's tables (10g, additionally, offers external tables feature, but - if you create SQL*Loader control files, you could use them on both databases).

Thanks for your feedback, You are right that I want to transfer several tables but not the full export. The problem is that our application is built in Developer 2000, OS is Linux and a lot of modules are dependent upon export dump (tables dump), so a lot of effort will be required to make changes in application, so we have to use export/import utility on both sides, Oracle 10g Rel 2 on Linux Advanced Server & Oracle 8.1.7 on Linux kernel version 2.4.21

Thanks once again for all who participated in this discussion.