Data type for geolocation data

I would like to store latitude and longitude coordinates in my database. I am using PostgreSQL and am aware of PostGIS, however I do not want to use it at this stage for various reasons.

I would however like to store lat/long coords that would be taken from Google Earth or even directly input from a user via the uploading of CSV/NMEA/GE data files.

Can anyone tell me what the best data type to use is? I was thinking of using NUMERIC(12,9) which would give me 1.11mm accuracy, but I am not sure if that is the best way to go about doing it.

Is anyone familiar with the data output by GPS loggers, and can offer me any insight into how best to input it into a DB? I have ordered a GPS logger, and will be poking around with its output data files to when it arrives, but any veteran knowledge would be appreciated.

- Naz.

Arizona, USA
    PostgreSQL supports several geometric data types that may be of interest, including the point.
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert