Unanswered: VB6/Access2000 Project from Win98 to WinXP

Hi,

My question concerns rebuilding an application (VB6 + Access 2000) that was originally developed on a Win98 machine. The compiled EXE has been running just fine on a Win98 PC (my old development PC) and a WinXP PC (at work) for a couple of years.

However, trouble started when I moved the VB project code and an existing database to a second WinXP machine (my new development PC). The VB project recompiled okay, but when I tried to run it, it produced the following message:

“Could not open table ‘MSysAccounts’ in the workgroup information file.”

By itself, Access runs just fine on this WinXP machine. It can open a variety of databases, including the ones my application uses.

By hard-coding the path to System.mdw in my connection string, I can get the application to run fine in development mode on the WinXP development machine:

sSQL = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; " & _
    "Data Source=" & Trim(sDatabaseFileName) & "; " & _
    "Jet OLEDBystem Database=C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\System.mdw"

However, I do not want to build this code into an EXE. Hard-coding the path is not a robust, generic solution, because System.mdw could appear in different folders on other machines.

Any ideas on an alternative (generic) solution?

Thanks,

Joe

why not store (and retrieve at app startup} the location of system.mdw in the registry? Or, in an ini file you would distribute with the app?
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Provided Answers: 10
    Is this any use?
    Let us know how you get on
    George
    Home | Blog

I may take an approach like one of these. The more I read about this general issue, the more options I seem to find. For instance, I have come across discussions that focus on renaming System.mdw. I need to weigh all these options.

Thanks!

Yes, this looks very helpful. I need to weigh the options before implementing one.

Thanks!