Do I have a fan trap here?

I have a small jpg of what I believe is a fan trap. I would like to get some other opinions before I start changing things around and adding another relationship when I may not to.

What I am trying to do is loop data between the "event" and "customer_Phone" tables. My loop does not give me the correct information and now that I am looking at the design, I am seeing that I possibly have a fan trap going on here. Can someone please confirm this for me?

Basically, the loop says, give me all of the customer_Phone numbers where the event_Id = something.

Thanks.

Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails export.jpg  

Your ERD looks fine to me. What exactly are you worried about happening? Also, I hope you weren't serious about using a loop...
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Your ERD looks fine to me. What exactly are you worried about happening? Also, I hope you weren't serious about using a loop...
    Hi Blindman, thanks for the response. Using this:

SELECT * FROM `customer` Inner Join `event` ON `customer`.`customer_Id` = `event`.`customer_Id` Inner Join `customer_Phone` ON `customer`.`customer_Id` = `customer_Phone`.`customer_Id` WHERE `event`.`customer_Location_Id` = '1' AND `event`.`event_Number_Id` = '3'
    Customer_Location_Id is a FK and even though it is not shown in the jpg, it is there.

What I need is ALL phone numbers returned from the customer_Phone table where the customer_Id = something AND the event_Number = something. I am not getting the correct results though. I have 3 records in the db as sample data but I am only getting 2 returned.

I was actually was serious about looping the data but through the web application, not sql. No good?

Thanks,

Frank

Check your data. The SQL appears fine to me.

You should run this through a sproc using set-based algorithms if you want any sort of efficiency.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Check your data. The SQL appears fine to me.

You should run this through a sproc using set-based algorithms if you want any sort of efficiency.
    Ok Blindman, thanks again.. I will also look into using sprocs for this.

frank, you don't have a fan trap because of the two one-to-many relationships being returned in your query, one of them is restricted to a one-to-one by a condition in the query

may i make a recommendation? stop immediately coding those silly friggin backticks, and also, do yourself a favour, learn how to write indented code

so i would rewrite this --
    Code:
    SELECT * FROM `customer` Inner Join `event` ON `customer`.`customer_Id` = `event`.`customer_Id` Inner Join `customer_Phone` ON `customer`.`customer_Id` = `customer_Phone`.`customer_Id` WHERE `event`.`customer_Location_Id` = '1' AND `event`.`event_Number_Id` = '3'
    like this --
    Code:
    SELECT * 
      FROM customer 
    Inner 
      Join event 
        ON event.customer_Id = customer.customer_Id
    Inner 
      Join customer_Phone 
        ON customer_Phone.customer_Id = customer.customer_Id 
     WHERE event.customer_Location_Id = '1' 
       AND event.event_Number_Id = '3'
    and then i would go further and make the following changes:
    Code:
    SELECT event.specific 
         , event.columns 
         , customer_Phone.from
         , customer.each
         , customer.table
      FROM customer 
    INNER 
      JOIN event 
        ON event.customer_Id = customer.customer_Id
       AND event.customer_Location_Id = 1 
       AND event.event_Number_Id = 3
    INNER 
      JOIN customer_Phone 
        ON customer_Phone.customer_Id = customer.customer_Id
    spot the changes
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Rudy, thanks for the reply. I will absolutely take your advice and stop using the backticks. The sql I posted today was from a stack I was having a problem with and was written prior to you enlightening me yesterday. I will go through my code and take them out. I don’t like them either. In the code you formatted, I can see the immediate changes. Much cleaner indeed.

As far as me not getting the correct result set back, that was due to a programming error on my part. I just couldn't seem to pinpoint where the problem was until now.

Maybe I am going about this whole entire process in the wrong way, and please let me know if I am, but the joins I am writing are quite long and several stacks have several sql statements. Instead of joining 10 tables together, I have decided to do smaller chunks of sql code and break it up.

From a complete “readability” standpoint in the programming code of the UI, I have put all of the sql code on one line. I do not like this either and I am wondering if there is another way to do this. When I have an issue like I did today, I have to extract the sql and then format it so it becomes readable again so that I can troubleshoot it.

Is there a tip or trick you can offer?

Thanks,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by fjm1967
    ...but the joins I am writing are quite long and several stacks have several sql statements.
    stacks?

Quote Originally Posted by fjm1967
    From a complete “readability” standpoint in the programming code of the UI, I have put all of the sql code on one line. I do not like this either and I am wondering if there is another way to do this.
    yes, there is -- write it on multiple lines, and if your UI doesn't allow it, get a new UI

"doc, it hurts when i do this"

"so don't do that then!"

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    stacks?
    it is just a page of data in the UI where you can put your database output.
    Quote Originally Posted by r937
    yes, there is -- write it on multiple lines, and if your UI doesn't allow it, get a new UI
    LOL.. That is really sound advice Rudy. Ok.. between your advice and the link, I got the point and I agree...

Thank you..