Question Unanswered: Best MSSQL management tools

Hi everyone.

I manage 100+ databases spread across the country. When it comes to perform an update or offsite backup, it is a nightmare. I have to repeat the same code and the same process for 100+ times.

Is there any tools other than MS Enterprise manager we can use to perform this type of maintenance works in a batch manner? For example, we place a update sql file within the program, and the program does the rest (of course, we predefine the login credential for each databases)

Cheers~

gmefmax

You can use the osql command line tool for SQL Server 2000 or the sqlcmd command line tool for SQL Server 2005.

Example:
    osql -S myservername -d myDBname -U myuser -P mypwd -Q "backup database myDBname to disk='g:\backup\myDBname070821.bak'

You could also write your own. Essentially a wrapper for osql that would allow you to select which instances and which scripts to apply (and also in which order).

It's not impossible, but I admit that I'm not up to the challenge right now.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

I talked to few guys and it seems I have write my own software in order to do this type of work. I just wondering how other people in the industry manage large number of databases across the country. Any Idea?

I don't really manage servers, but when I do need to execute the same script against many different server/databases, I use sqlcmd combined with some batch files that make use of the FOR keyword, looping over the values in a .txt file, calling sqlcmd for each.

basically you specify the server/db/credentials in an external .txt file and then loop over each value using FOR.

Thanks Jezemine. I tried it and only works for SQL2005, a lot of databases I manage are still using version 7 (YES! It still using SQL7.) Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by gmefmax
    I tried it and only works for SQL2005, a lot of databases I manage are still using version 7 (YES! It still using SQL7.) Any other ideas?
    Then use osql.exe instead.

I use sqlmaint.exe wrapped in a .cmd file

I prefer DBArtisan for Oracle and SQL Server, just costs a boatload of $$$.

I actually wrote a script which reads from a table, all the server names\instances, and then loop through each server\instace, log into each one (with a service acocunt), and run whatever command you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Reghardt
    I actually wrote a script which reads from a table, all the server names\instances, and then loop through each server\instace, log into each one (with a service acocunt), and run whatever command you want.
    I've pretty much been able to do with DOS cmd scripting what I did with UNIX kshell, a bit more clumsy though.

Anybody use PowerShell yet for scripting ?

Any Tutorials site you recommend?
    It sounds bit advanced to me?
    Thanks again guys.

Quote Originally Posted by PMASchmed
    I've pretty much been able to do with DOS cmd scripting what I did with UNIX kshell, a bit more clumsy though.

Anybody use PowerShell yet for scripting ?

I keep meaning to get into powershell, but haven't yet.

ps combined with SMO would be a nice combo:

http://www.google.com/search?q=smo+powershell

Quote Originally Posted by gmefmax
    Any Tutorials site you recommend?
    It sounds bit advanced to me?
    Thanks again guys.
    I have a book called "Windows NT Shell Scripting" by Tim Hill published by New Riders, it's a bit old (1998) but it has very good examples that come in handy.