Unanswered: Linking up two different databases

I am not a database manager, but I work with people that use databases for sales and customer service... so I am not too familiar with the code and lingo... please bear with me.

We use two databases - one is in SQL, and it is for pre-sales customer service... i.e. tracking notes, phone calls, emails, and opportunities.
    The second database is in Progress, and it is for actual quotes, tracking time, labor, materials, cost, and revenue.
    As of now, our sales people have to enter new customers in the SQL database, and then duplicate the information in the Progress database. It's very frustrating, because everything needs to be entered twice - name, address, phone, shipping info, etc. etc. etc... When we first started this - 10 years ago - we were told that it could all be linked.

So my question is - is it possible to link these databases together? When our sales people enter a new contact in CRM, I'd like it to be automatically entered into the Progress database. If they make a change to a phone number, I'd like that to be updated in the Progress database. Also the other way around - if a shipping address is changed in the Progress database, I'd like it updated automatically in the SQL database.

Please tell me this is possible - and easy!!! Thanks for any help you can provide at all.

Jon

Provided Answers: 1
    Yes, it is possible.
    No, it is not easy. I would describe this task as "moderately difficult". Any competent database developer should be able to handle it, but it is not a problem you would want to hand to a newbie.
    I recommend you contract with a local database application developer to implement this.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Well, at least it's possible.
    I am perfectly willing to work with a contractor. Now.... how would I find someone like that? I wouldn't even know where to look.
    Also, what kind of cost can I expect on that front?
    Thanks,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jonkovach
    Also, what kind of cost can I expect on that front?
    I believe we are not allowed to answer that.

You could try contacting recruitment companies in your area and see if you can get a contractor. Alternatively, SQL Server consultancies.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.