Talking Unanswered: Updating Front End While Multi Users Logged In

I have a multi user database with user level security set up. I have the database manually split between the FE and BE. The users all access the FE via a link as opposed to each person having their own copy (had to do this because of the user level security). How do I update forms and macros while users are logged in the FE. I have created a seperate FE that I use to make updates, then when everyone is logged off, I move my updates over to the user FE. Is there an easier way to do this? I am totally new to splitting FE and BE. I really appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

Thanks,
    Mr. Blonde.

I believe that as you give each individual their own separate copy of the Master FE database, whatever security you have in the Master FE stays with it as the copy is made for someone's individual computer. You can test this by copying the FE that everyone is currently using to a user's PC and have them test the security while you watch. If you have a signin that you can use that is the same as a user's, then you can test it yourself.

When you see that the security works the same, with one network FE, or multiple "personal" FEs, then you can implement a procedure to check a table in the FE vs a matching table in the BE. When they are different, launch another utility DB that will copy the new Master FE database from the network to the users PC. When that copy is done, that utility DB can open the refreshed copy of the FE database from the user's PC. Suddenly, your FE update routine becomes VERY easy.

HTH,

here is where I get confused

When I set up security, it asked if the users would access the db directly or through a link. I had to choose link, because I choose directly, then it adds that security to all databases on my pc, secured or not.
    So the main mdb is not accessible. Only the link works. So in this instance, how do I make the copies?

I think I answered my own question with my last response

I think I've got it now.

I appreciate your help.

Provided Answers: 10
    I'm wondering... Can you rename forms when users are logged in?
    George
    Home | Blog

Nope

That was one of the problems I encountered.

I am just going to copy the mdb, and the link (modify the link) and make individual FE copies