As a point of comparison (Oracle Install on Linux)

I remember the first time I installed SQL Server on an NT 4.0 box. It was my first time installing a database. I didn't build the OS, mind you, just did the DB install. That was like, back in '97 or early '98. It took maybe an hour, perhaps a bit more. I know I did some stuff wrong, but it mostly worked.

Now I am trying to install Oracle 10gR2 Grid Control into our Enterprise environment. I am testing the installation on a Red Hat Linux box that's sitting around the house. I have now been at this for close on to 10 hours. And it's still not complete.

The Linux install was a snap. About an hour. Downloading (after first finding) the 2 GB of files for Enterprise Grid Control took a while (I lost track). Googling forums to find the bug in the install script (twice) took about 40 minutes.

10 fooking hours. And it's still running (63% complete).

I take back anything bad I said about SQL 2005 installs.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Make that 12 hours and it's still broken. Totally broken.

I've done Oracle 10g on Windows 2003 boxes and had MUCH less trouble.

Bedtime.

Have you hugged your backup today?

The best part about it is that the Linus installaiton process for Oracle is NOT repeatable either. Once you get the installation process working/debugged/whatever and you can prove that it worked this time on that machine, there is absolutely NO guarantee that the same process will work again on that machine or on any other machine. It is just lovely!

You have my condolences.

As this thread really doesn't address anything to do with SQL Server, and I think that it really doesn't belong in the Oracle forum either, I'm going to move it to Chit-Chat.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    The best part about it is that the Linus installaiton process for Oracle is NOT repeatable either. Once you get the installation process working/debugged/whatever and you can prove that it worked this time on that machine, there is absolutely NO guarantee that the same process will work again on that machine or on any other machine. It is just lovely!

You have my condolences.

As this thread really doesn't address anything to do with SQL Server, and I think that it really doesn't belong in the Oracle forum either, I'm going to move it to Chit-Chat.

-PatP

With Oracle installs, I do (did not) not use the OUI to do the installation, I'll have it generate the DB creation scripts, and they install oracle via sqlplus piping in the the DB creation scripts.