Unanswered: using 9i listener to connect to 8.0.4 home

We need to restore a 8.0.4 database for some historical data. We have Oracle 9i on the same Solaris server.

My question is:

1. How do I set up the listener for the 8.0.4 database. We already have a 9i listener running on the same server. When I tried to use the 9i listener to register the 8.0.4 database, it is a giving a ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name.

So, what is the best to connect to the 8.0.4 database? Can I set up a separate TNS for the 8.0.4 with a different port number or can I use the 9i listener itself?

Oracle 9 listener uses sql net 2, oracle 8.0 used sql net 1. They are not compatable. Use the 8.0 listener and use a different port.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

I always thought a 9i listener could work for an 8 database... I thought I read that somewhere, but i'm getting older now and my memory is fading...

However, I do remember that v8 databases didn't use the "SERVICE_NAME" designation. So, in the listener.ora, your CONNECT_DATA section should have SID_NAME instead of SERVICE_NAME... maybe it will work, maybe not... beilstwh is usually right about things Oracle...
    JoeB
    save disk space, use smaller fonts

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Not all 9i versions are created equal; major network changes between 9.1 & 9.2
    Not a V8 versions are created equal; major network changes between V8.0.X & V8.1.6|7

This is why it is IMPERATIVE to specify version to FOUR decimal places & avoid marketing hype.

V9.2.x will NOT talk to V8.0.x; IIRC.

So the answer really depends upon what EXACT version OP has when stating "9i".
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.