Unanswered: Logging in DB2 Stored Procedures

Hi,

We are using DB2 V8 on z/OS and want to log values of input and output parameters in DB2 SQL stored procedures. Can anyone please help me with this?

Regards,
    Yogesh.

What are you coding your stored procs in? If you're using something like COBOL, just use a DISPLAY and you'll see the messages in the SYSOUT of your WLM job. You could also allocate a file and write to that, but that's a little trickier. For an SQL stored proc, you could INSERT values to a table.

For SQL procedures, you can call a UDF that writes the information to a file residing on the server. One example of such a UDF can be found here: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db...303stolze.html
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Quote Originally Posted by stolze
    For SQL procedures, you can call a UDF that writes the information to a file residing on the server. One example of such a UDF can be found here: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db...303stolze.html
    Does that work on DB2 for z/OS?

Personally, I would alter the SP to log the parms to a DB2 table. I would also log an negative return codes to a DB2 table.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A

Personally, I would alter the SP to log the parms to a DB2 table. I would also log an negative return codes to a DB2 table.
    At the environments where I work we have created a general audit table where we log information like process name, start time, stop time, row counts, and notes (a column we use for whatever we had forgoten)

It has always worked well for us excpecialy when we needed to report on the process regarding timings and performance issues.

It is interesting that you can capture the error codes. That is something that i would be interested in. Can you elaborate on how you would do that?
    ------------
    And back to SQL Server....I always find my way home
    View my Linkedin profile

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A
    Yes, it does. However, it can be made simpler if the UDF runs in WLM and writes its output to STDERR. Then you could have a look at it directly in the WLM logs.

That works well if you use a temporary table because you can use
    Code:
    DECLARE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE ... NOT LOGGED ON ROLLBACK PRESERVE ROWS
    Otherwise you would loose the logged information when an explicit or implicit rollback occurs.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development