Chicago, IL

Unanswered: SSIS Flat File Import Help

I am trying to import a flat file into SQL Server 2005 using SSIS. I have never used it before and I am getting confused by the error I am receiving.

I have a link to a flat file, that gets sent through a Derived Column flow where dates in YYYYMMDD are changed to MM/DD/YYYY format. Then the string MM/DD/YYYY is converted to a date in a Data Conversion flow. And finally the data is put into a SQL Server table (currently with no rows).

The problem I am having is with a text field with the email address in it. The error I am getting is:

[Import Allstate Auto Club [1]] Error: Data conversion failed. The data conversion for column "email_source" returned status value 4 and status text "Text was truncated or one or more characters had no match in the target code page.".

The problem is I can't see where in the flow the problem is. The field length is 20 wherever I look and the codepage is 1252 wherever I look. Does anyone have an insight? Keep in mind, I have never used SSIS before and I consider myself an amateur with SQL Server. It could easily be a data type conflict or something easy. Any help will be appreciated.

As per the error you have to see the code page & Collation on the target table, ensure it matches the number of characters from source field.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP