Exclamation Unanswered: Error: 1601, Severity: 17, State: 3

Hi all,
    Today when i was trying to connect to my server using a client i was getting the following error:

Error: 1601, Severity: 17, State: 3 There are not enough 'user connections' available to start a new process. Retry when there are fewer active users, or ask your System Administrator to reconfigure SQL Server with more user connections.

But the thing is that setting in my database for the number of user connections is 512, but i am pritty sure that it never reached to that level, so can you help me and let me know what could be the other reasions for getting this error.

Provided Answers: 1
    My guess is you have a bad behaving app that does not close it's connection and just create a new connection.

Hi, Thanks for the help.

But can i do any thing so that this situation does not repeat in future. Because big problem is that i have to restart the server in this situation and most of the time it is not possible.

Thumbs up

create a batch file or shell script
    find out the userid which has status 'recv sleep'
    run this file periodically..
    use crontab or schedule job

Hi,

Actully the problem is that people are not directly logged on to this server, but actually they are logged on to another server from which they are connected to this server. Now can i some how know that, is there a problem with the application on this server that its not closing the user connections it created or its not recieving infromation from other server to close the opened user connection.