Unanswered: about primary key

I have question, if i delete one record in the access database, i would like the next record's primary is continuous. What i did, after delete, i compact and repair database, but the primary key still is not continuous. What should i do, i remembered i did in sql server database, but i also forgot too. Could you please let me know how to do it in both access database and sql server database.

Quote Originally Posted by yyu
    What should i do,
    Don't worry about it.
    Is the key referenced in other tables? Do you really want to change a whole bunch of keys every time someone deletes a record?
    If you really want to renumber everything every once in a while, create a column for that purpose; don't mess with keys. Keys are not meant for presentation purposes.

Provided Answers: 10
    Primary keys should have no meaning and therefore continuous numbering should not matter.
    If it matters to your application then you've done something wrong
    George
    Home | Blog

Yes, i understand. But i would like to learn. I know it did has a way to do it. Thank you very much!

may i add my two cents to the discussion: don't do it

do not mess with autonumbers -- they are intended to be unique and that's all

if you can explain the requirements for continuity of numbers, perhaps there is some other solution, but autonumbers is not the way to do it
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

100% rudy.

my preference is for meaningless surrogate keys (e.g. autonumbers) in almost all circumstances, but if you have a perverse need for sequential numbers, i have documented a viable method in the code-bank (see pootle's index of the bank).

issuing sequential numbers at record-create does not necessarily keep them sequential:
    delete 3
    ...what do you want to happen now???????????

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Provided Answers: 19
    Someone in a newsgroup, I forget who, said it best "Autonumbers are unfit for human consumption!"
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by georgev (with an edit in bold by poots)
    Surrogate Primary keys should have no meaning and therefore continuous numbering should not matter.
    If it matters to your application then you've done something wrong
    I've just added a small clarification to your post. An intelligent primary key by definition has meaning. A surrogate should not. Meaning is not a property of a primary key but a property of the type of primary key you employ.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 5
    you know what I use them for. Proactive for upsizing to sql -
    Dale Houston, TX

Provided Answers: 5
    great for upsizing to sql -
    Dale Houston, TX