Unanswered: Unknown formatting prevents formula entry

This is one of those problems where I've tried to search the help and search Google but I don't know how to explain it concisely.

I've seen this on a number of spreadsheets that are heavily used: when you try to enter a formula (or a non-text value, such as a date) Excel behaves as though you've entered a text value.

I'm not putting an apostrophe before the value. And when I use Clear -> Formats and reenter the formula, date or number, I'm able to enter non-text values.

Has anyone seen this? I'll try to provide an example spreadsheet.

Formula entry

Hi

When a cell is formatted as text or in cells of certain Excel files downloaded from databases, data warehouses, ERP and others a formula and anything else is considered as a text string.

You need to change the format to "General" in these cells before you try to enter a formula.

The CTRL/Colon does enter the date but it is justified to the left.
    The CTRL/Semi-Colon does enter the time but it is justified to the left.
    A piece of data is like a brick
    If you don't build anything with it
    It is just a brick
    www.excel-examples.com

Quote Originally Posted by pierrevbaexcel
    When a cell is formatted as text or in cells of certain Excel files downloaded from databases, data warehouses, ERP and others a formula and anything else is considered as a text string.
    Hmm... I'm doubtful that the spreadsheets I've seen were downloaded from databases.

You need to change the format to "General" in these cells before you try to enter a formula.
    Yeah, that's probably what is happening when I choose Clear->All. But selecting General changes far less, so that's good to know.

Thanks for the info!