Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Do I need a PHP program or a custom script?

I'm trying to create an online encyclopedia that can operate at high speeds, under heavy traffic, reliably. I've decided to pair MySQL with PHP to meet these needs, hosted on a dedicated Linux server.

Now, what are my options in terms of the (PHP) scripting? Are there any excellent PHP-written programs that I can use for my online encyclopedia, or do I need a custom script? If so, how much time and money will this run me?

I really don't know much about databases, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

You would use a Wiki script or similar.

With all of the existing free on line Encyclopedias, why do you want to create one more?

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Enc...p=mss&ei=UTF-8
    http://encarta.msn.com/artcenter_/browse.html
    http://www.wikipedia.org/

Edit: You can find demo versions and user comments for the current popular open source wiki software at this link - http://www.opensourcecms.com/
    Last edited by dbmab; 09-02-07 at 01:25.

A wikitech told me using MediaWiki (which powers Wikipedia) might be overkill for a project that calls for just a simple online encyclopedia without all the bells and whistles (like talk, user-edit, etc.). Is there any truth to that?

When it comes to MediaWiki, I have yet to get the same answer from two different people.

Only enable and use the features that you want.

1. Would a custom script that was more light weight (without all the bells and whistles) run faster or does it not matter? Disabling features, in terms of speed, is as effective as a custom script that didn't have them in there to begin with?

2. Would someone fluent in PHP be enough, or would they need to be experienced with MediaWiki?

3. I see "Wikitechs" working on MediaWiki all the time fixing bugs and such. Would I have this problem if I used MediaWiki? Wikipedia seems, to me anyway, to be fully functioning. So why are there so many techs working on bugs?

fully functional <> bugfree

are you yourself fluent in php?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Would someone please answer this for me:

Would a light-weight, custom script run faster than a program with all the bells and whistles? In other words, would disabling features in a fully scalable program (like MediaWiki) be as effective (in terms of gaining speed) as writing a custom script that didn't have them in there to begin with?

The code for extra/unused features does not take any time if it is not executed. If a feature that queries a database to show "who is on line" is disabled, no un-necessary queries used by that feature will occur. Only the code on each page necessary to bypass any unused features would slow each page load down. So, the method used to incorporate the extra features into each page is what matters, and then the difference is fairly small.

You would loose a few 10's of milliseconds per page or nothing at all, depending on if a script uses conditional statements to "include" the extra feature on a page (in which case the conditional code would still need to be executed on each page load to skip over "including" the disabled features, taking up a small amount of time) or it uses an editable template system (in which case the disabled features would be completely removed from each page during a one time edit/save process.)

Quote Originally Posted by surfrider
    I'm trying to create an online encyclopedia that can operate at high speeds, under heavy traffic, reliably. I've decided to pair MySQL with PHP to meet these needs, hosted on a dedicated Linux server.

Now, what are my options in terms of the (PHP) scripting? Are there any excellent PHP-written programs that I can use for my online encyclopedia, or do I need a custom script? If so, how much time and money will this run me?

I really don't know much about databases, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If your looking for speed, look beyond php cuz your not going to get it especially when there is a load on the server IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by fjm1967
    If your looking for speed, look beyond php cuz your not going to get it especially when there is a load on the server IMHO.
    What do you recommend? From my understanding, PHP paired with MySQL is a shoo in for speed and reliability. Was I misinformed?

What do you recommend? From my understanding, PHP paired with MySQL is a shoo in for speed and reliability. Was I misinformed?
    In my opinion, you were misinformed. It is truly a personal preference really. If I personally needed "speed" in the application, I wouldn't use php, I would look into C++. But hey, thats just me.

Take a look around at some of the apps that use php and get a feel for the speed before you go programming something that you may not be happy with.

Even for purely web-based databases you don't recommend the PHP/MySQL combo?

Even for purely web-based databases you don't recommend the PHP/MySQL combo?
    Yes, I think the two are a good combination. I use php and mysql for my own projects. I happen to be fond of php; it serves all of my programming needs without a problem.

I do have a dynamic website that was programmed in pure php and uses a mysql database. I did not program this site but purchased the application. The site is located in a datacenter (fast connection) and has approximately 500 people a day using it. I have noticed that the site gets super slow when there are more than about 3 concurrent users.

"Lightning" speed is not as important to me as is the ability and flexibility that php offers me. For me, it is a good trade-off.

fjm, I appreciate all of your input, please keep it coming. I don't mean to sound rude when I ask so many questions, I just really want to figure this out.

If not a PHP/MySQL combo for web-based speed and reliability, then what would you recommend for purely web application?

fjm, I appreciate all of your input, please keep it coming. I don't mean to sound rude when I ask so many questions, I just really want to figure this out.
    I don't mind at all. I am not an expert by any means but I am happy to share my experiences and barriers.
    If not a PHP/MySQL combo for web-based speed and reliability, then what would you recommend for purely web application?
    I would recommend mysql for your database. Mysql has the speed you are looking for and reliability IMHO plus it is not hard to use. I have never had a bad experience with it.

Your programming language could certainly be php but if you wanted speed and that is a top priority, I would personally look into C++. I doubt there is anything faster than C.

cfm appears to be faster to me than php. You may want to look into that as well. Are you going to be programming this or maybe have someone else doing it for you? Also, do you program in php?