Post your favorite CMS

Post your favorite web CMS and why you like it over the rest.

I like this CMS because it is first in the Google search, and also because it has just bounced down from its high value, making it onto the "to watch" list.

If you have older relatives in the United States, then this CMS is extremely useful. A good site to bookmark!

If you live in North Carolina, then this CMS is worthy of investigation too. Some dedicated and caring folks there!

Acronyms are wonderful things, especially ones that have dozens of commonly used meanings. If you want specific answers to your questions, you should ask specific questions!

-PatP

Content Management System?
    George
    Home | Blog

Right Pat, because the chances of me polling a database community, in the database concept forum, about schools and stocks--as opposed to, you know, content management systems--are great. I wonder if guys like you on car forums still need catalytic converter spelled out whenever someone talks about cats.

I must have put common sense past you Pat, sorry. Won't make that mistake again.

Yes folks, surprising as it is, I'm not referring to a school in North Carolina. I apologize to those of you who PM'ed me your favorite teachers, I may be a bit out place here (I'm new), maybe I posted on the wrong forum, but I'm actually talking about databases. Who knew, right?

Content Management is about as closely related to databases as is Digital Rights Management. Both of them are applications/technologies that are used by (usually web) sites that run on databases, so effectively a third or more generation relationship... I can guarantee you that all three of the CMS examples that I cited are direct users of databases, so second generation relationships.

I was making a joke at a common error I see from very new users, trying to get you to understand that if you aren't specific in what you ask for that you can't expect specific (or useful) responses.

You clearly don't need help from someone like me.

-PatP

If you don't know what a web CMS is (which is probably nobody that posts here), then this thread doesn't require your input anyway.

Think a little.

PS: A school (with the initials CMS) uses a database, so a database guru would confuse a school with a content management system? What are you saying man?

I don't know what a web CMS is, care to enlighten me?

Pat is an expert in just about everything even closely related to databases and programming (at least I've not caught him out yet...) and I respect him for it. Pat's answer was both valid and correct in answering your question - take his advice with a pinch of salt if you want; if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.

Just remember: a little humour goes a long way.

P.S. the word "please" is also a good one to use
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by surfrider
    If you don't know what a web CMS is (which is probably nobody that posts here)
    i'm not sure how to take that

i post here a lot, and i am quite familiar with the CMS concept

i worked on a microsoft access web site CMS way back in 1999 (yes, it even survived a slashdot effect -- that's right, a microsoft access driven web site) and helped port it to oracle

and of course i use a CMS for my own sites (but it's a roll-yer-own CMS, written in ColdFusion, not PHP)

so yeah, people who hang out in database forums might know what a CMS is
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Quote Originally Posted by surfrider
    If you don't know what a web CMS is (which is probably nobody that posts here), then this thread doesn't require your input anyway.

Think a little.

PS: A school (with the initials CMS) uses a database, so a database guru would confuse a school with a content management system? What are you saying man?
    Ur. umm.. Man.. let me try and help you out here. A good way to know whether someone knows what they are talking about is by the number of posts they have.

Pat is an expert and one of the "Top dogs" in these forums and is highly respected. With all due respect, a person that has to ask about what an attribute is, is certainly not in any position to make a statement like that. Do me a personal favor.. You think a little

Oh, I am just ITCHING to get in on this one, but I can't find the right hook yet. Surfrider, post another one please. Give me one more shot at this thread...
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

I believe that this is the same person that you responded to in this thread.

http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=1622003

here are some CMS i have heard of (with no knowledge beyond what they're called) -- drupal, phpnuke, movable type, wordpress, django, vignette

you can recognize sites using vignette because the urls are always of the form: http://example.com/foo/bar/0,289625,xyz270287,00.html

many more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...gement_systems

my goodness, look at how many of them use mysql, they must be totally deluded, as mysql isn't a real database

(sorry, couldn't help it, that last comment was for the benefit of lurkers who shall not be named)
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL