Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Unanswered: Possible Corruption after Dbpix

    Dear All,

    Can you help me?

    I have been creating databases for a while now but have not experienced the following before.

    When using Object Orientation to manipulate an output report in word something happens to access to stop it closing properly.

    When I close Access all appears to be well until I attempt to reopen my application. If I examine my windows task manager MSACCESS.exe is still running even though it is not visible.

    My application does use modal/popup forms which may be relevant and possibly more relevantly has previously had DbPix utilised.


    I experienced no problem with DbPix. I just did not want it so uninstalled. This seems to have set references which I believe I have unset.

    My code has run previously without causing this problem.

    Has anyone else experience problems with DbPix? Can you recommend another solution for checking references an link?

    (Please do not ask me to post my code as there is too much of it. Much of it is based aroun so it should be sound.)

    Why isn't my database closing properly?

    beer to the winner

    Oby 1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    This sort of thing usually happens when Access literally crashes and can not clean up properly. One of the clean up procedures is to delete the yourDatabaseName.ldb file which is created within the home folder for your database (for .mdb databases anyways). This file is used for sharing and locking in multiuser situations and is a buddy to the Jet Database Engine.

    You may need to delete this file and restart your application but be sure to first open your DB while holding the keyboard SHIFT key then open a module and Compile. Then Compact and Repair. The Compile may point out a obvious error in code. Something not so obvious is a flaw within a SQL string which the Jet Database Engine just does not like and doesn't know how to deal with it especially in Locked situations (in my opinion). OH....and close the hidden instance of MSAccess.exe within Processes of the your Windows Task Manager.

    This is from Microsoft KB Article regard the .LDB file:

    For every database opened for shared use, an .ldb file is created to store computer and security names and to place extended byte range locks. The .ldb file always has the same name as the opened database (.mdb) and is located in the same folder as the opened database. For example, if you open (for shared use) the Northwind.mdb sample database in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Samples folder, then a file called Northwind.ldb is automatically created in the same folder.

    Whenever the last user closes a shared database, the .ldb file is deleted. The only exceptions are when a user does not have delete rights or when the database is marked as corrupted; then, the .ldb file is not deleted because it contains information about who was using the database at the time the database was marked as corrupted.

    You can read the entire article here

    This all can be as a result to a serious flaw in your code. An abrupt Stack Overflow or writes to a table or tables when permission just isn't available can cause this dilemma as well.

    May the force be with you OBY_1

    Last edited by CyberLynx; 09-06-07 at 05:11.
    Self Taught In ALL Environments.....And It Shows!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    I have used dbpix for years and I haven't the problem you seem to have encountered. We have about 15,000 images.

    I would suggest that you contact for support.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Thanks for the Ideas. More welcome!

    Thanks All

    CYBERLYNX I have tried your suggestion before but will do again.
    I also tried Creating a new database, importing all of the objects from the original and re-doing all of the references. Strangely the reference to Microsoft Activex 2.61 (ADO) was already set. This is strange because I haven't ever set this in any database and I don't think this is standard.I think the problem is either with the code which used to work or with the install and un-install of DbPix

    I have heard a lot of good things about DbPix and will check out their support.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    If you are referentially accessing the images i.e. not blobs try creating a very simple database to reference your images. Create the fields with a unique Identifier (that corresponds with your image file) and ImageFlag (True/False).

    Create a query with those fields and an Expression of the full path and extension of the Image.

    Then Create a Form with the these fields and a dbpix Image Controlan on current try:

    Function GetImage()
    Dim FullPath As String
        With CodeContextObject
            FullPath = .[Image File]
            If Dir([FullPath]) <> Empty Then
                .[YourImageControl].Visible = True
                .[YourImageControl].ImageLoadFile (FullPath)
                .[ImageFlag] = -1
                .[YourImageControl].Visible = False
                .[ImageFlag] = 0
            End If
        End With
    End Function
    This should tick the records that have an image.

    The clear and Visible false ensure that the images are not reiterated if no images are not available.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts