Unanswered: insert identity id

hi all,

i have a question:
    i have a table that has an identity id column called pId and also a column called ParentPid.
    now my question is that i want to insert the value of pId into the ParentPid when i'm adding a new Property to a table.
    any idea?
    thanks
    Peace out
    Mr joka

Hi

Check out after update\ insert triggers in BoL. That should cover it for you. You could otherwise use scope_identity but you would need this in your application code.

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

thanks for your quick answer, i'm new to sql queries, can you plaese give me an example?
    thanks
    Peace out
    Mr joka

Sure:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...4(SQL.80).aspx

Triggers are not an introductory concept.

One thing has struck me - why do you want to do this? You are just putting the same value into one row in two different fields? How does this help you?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

thanks,
    i have properties and subproperties i need to select properties and under that put subproperties and this is i'm doing it with the check of ParentPId = PId and i have also the Plevel, if Plevel = 1 then it is category and if Plevel = 2 then it is subcategory.

i will take a look at the link you send me
    Peace out
    Mr joka

how can a row be the parent of itself?

perhaps what you want is to set the parentid to NULL instead -- this is the "best practice" when a row has no parent, which is what i think you're trying to do here, yes?

see Categories and Subcategories

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

thanks
    first of all i'm working with prperties: so i have a datalist that shows all the properties, in these properties i have Property and i have subproperties and i'm distinguishing between them with a colunm in my table called level, so if a property has level = 1 then it is a property, if level = 2 then it is subproperty. now when i want to show the properties and subproperties i'm querying my table as that:
    select * from property where level = 2 and parentPId = PropertyId so i wll show just the subproperties of a specific property.
    now the PropertyId is an identity so the id is generating automatically, now what i want is a way so i can insert this propertyid into the ParentPId?

thanks
    Peace out
    Mr joka