Unanswered: Encrypted Stored Procs

Hey yall

I ran into something interesting today and was wondering how one would do this. I have some 3rd party stored procs and one was kicking out a truncate error so I took it upon myself to investigate the stored proc that was kicking out this error. So when I tried viewing the sp, I received an error:*****Encrypted object is not transferable, and script could not be generated.***** and then it brings up a blank editing screen.

First I believe this was a custom error message as it just doesnt seem like the way SQL Server would have presented it.

So how would someone prohibit viewing of a stored proc like this?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 6
    the create procedure statement has a WITH ENCRYPTION arguement. the encryption is one way and there is stuff on the internet to crack the encryption in sql 2k if do a little googling.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Neat, thanks

So I guess if I did that to one of mine I would be locked out as well unless I had an unencrypted backup?

Provided Answers: 6
    well hopefully you manage your source code outside of sql server with something like visual source safe, source gears vault or team foundation server.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.