Unanswered: db2 performance tuning

Hi All,

I am looking for a performance tuning doucment(DB2 UDB v7.2 fixpak 5 and aix 5.2),changes need to be done to the database for increasing the performance. can you please provide any link/document for this.

Any Help...

Thanks in Advance
    Meena.s

Try this redbook from IBM:
    * DB2 UDB V7.1 Performance Tuning Guide:
    This IBM Redbook will provide you with guidelines for system design, database design, and application design with DB2 UDB for AIX Version 7.1: http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246012.html
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246012.pdf

See also: http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdo...Index/WP100764
    --_Peter Vanroose,
    __IBM Certified Database Administrator, DB2 9 for z/OS
    __IBM Certified Application Developer
    __ABIS Training and Consulting
    __http://www.abis.be/

You may want to apply the latest FixPak because pretty much each FP includes improvements in the DB2 Optimizer (but probably nothing that you will really notice).
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Quote Originally Posted by stolze
    You may want to apply the latest FixPak because pretty much each FP includes improvements in the DB2 Optimizer (but probably nothing that you will really notice).
    I still suggest to try fixpacks behaviour on test system. Optimizer is complex mechanism and can lead to poorer performance also. For example few years ago when I have migrated database from v7 to v8 there was some performance degradation on some particular SQLs on my data warehouse system. SQLs that usually executed in 2 minutes was according to my calculation running 40 days (I haven't waited 40 days to see the result, I just saw frequency of insert statements). Reporting PMR to IBM and IBM lab made a special build that solved the problem. So before applying any fixpacks I always performance of critical SQL statements - this are usually the complex SQLs.

Quote Originally Posted by Meena.s
    Hi All,

I am looking for a performance tuning doucment(DB2 UDB v7.2 fixpak 5 and aix 5.2),changes need to be done to the database for increasing the performance. can you please provide any link/document for this.

Any Help...

Thanks in Advance
    Meena.s
    Hi,
    According to my experience there are almost always SQL problems on database and not environment itself. I guess your system is up an running for some years, so there was probably some kind of tuning on database already done on db site. So I suggest turning on SQL-snapshot or SQL-monitoring to see which SQLs are making a performance problem. Then execute explain and try to create some indexes on database.
    Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

Quote Originally Posted by grofaty
    I still suggest to try fixpacks behaviour on test system. Optimizer is complex mechanism and can lead to poorer performance also. For example few years ago when I have migrated database from v7 to v8 there was some performance degradation on some particular SQLs on my data warehouse system. SQLs that usually executed in 2 minutes was according to my calculation running 40 days (I haven't waited 40 days to see the result, I just saw frequency of insert statements). Reporting PMR to IBM and IBM lab made a special build that solved the problem. So before applying any fixpacks I always performance of critical SQL statements - this are usually the complex SQLs.
    Very good advise. (Even if this should be common sense.)
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Thanks for all your Help. I will try to make this out.

Many Thanks
    Meena.s