Unanswered: Formatting issue

Hello All,
    I have 2 subforms on a Main form....In subform 1 I get an 'theorderdetailtotal' (from unitprice X quantity calculation on subform 1 (called Order Details Subform))..
    Code:
    =Forms![Add an Order and Details]![Order Details Subform].Form!TheOrderDetailTotal
    The amount (from 'theorderdetailtotal')shows in the Main form in a control labeled 'Order SubTotal', no problem

The problem comes in when I attempt to add the freight charge and sales tax to the 'Order Total', I can't seem to get it formatted properly to make it sum up together. Controls 'FreightCharge' and 'SaleTaxAlone' are subform 2.

Note: SalesTaxAlone is calculated in subform 2 (Order Ship Details Subform)from another control 'anewsalestax'(rate)...it works well.

I'm just having trouble stringing them all together into control labeled 'Order Total' '. I've put the parenthesis everywhere,,,but here's the latest rendition:

Code:
    =Forms![Add an Order and Details]![AnOrderSubtotal]+(Forms![Add an Order and Details]![Order Ship Details Subform].Form!shipcost)+(Forms![Add an Order and Details]![Order Ship Details Subform].Form!SalesTaxAlone)
    I get #Error in the 'Order Total' control.
    thanks so much
    Last edited by imrosie; 09-10-07 at 08:38.

Provided Answers: 10
    Quote Originally Posted by imrosie
    I'm just having trouble stringing them all together into control labeled 'Order Total'
    Remember that the ampersand (&) is used in string concatenation. Plus is used to... add things!
    George
    Home | Blog

actually, the plus sign can be used for concatenation too

guess which one handles nulls correctly

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

When working with numerics, the plus sign adds them together...
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 & 1 = 11

"test" + Null = Null
    "test" & Null = "test"
    George
    Home | Blog

you guys are great! can I ask 2 more???

GeorgeV,

thanks so much, I put that & in place of the plus and it worked beautifully.

Now I'm struggling with my sales tax event. The sales tax control should display the amount of sales tax by utilizing the sales tax percent control, even when no sales tax is entered,it has a default of 6%. Both the sales tax percent and sales tax (ANewSalesTax) controls are on subform (#2). The 'AnOrderDetailSubTotal' is from subform #1.

this won't calculate:
    Code:
    =Forms![Add an Order and Details]![Order Details Subform]!AnOrderSubtotal*Nz([ANewSalesTax])
    Lastly, the control (post #1) for the event where I changed the plus signs to ampersand's won't display in Currency format now...I've got 2 decimal places and Currency as the format; I've deleted is (suspect it may be corrupted) and added back the control...it is displaying for $65.00.....6500, with NO dollar sign or decimal places....any ideas??? I did keep the same name (because it's used in other calculations)....
    imrosie

Then why are we concatenating? Why not simply have 1 currency format control per value?

Also, doesn't the Nz function require more parameters?
    George
    Home | Blog

I don't know....is the answer

Hi GeorgeV,
    because (newbie) I thought it should work...Upon finding that it doesn't...I asked for help...I'm trying to understand.

As for the nz...the last programmer here used it all over the place in the previous db..I looked it up and thought if one of my controls had a null, I would still get some value back...but I"m not expert on nz by any means.

As for the "use one currency format per value" I"m going now to check that out...I thought that's what I was doing.
    thanks

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...ffice.11).aspx

Also, you missed out the keyword of "current format control per value".
    One textbox/label per value
    Last edited by gvee; 09-10-07 at 18:04.
    George
    Home | Blog

thanks but that page cannot be found..

GeorgeV

I assume there's information that will help me solve this? the link doesn't work, even if I go to the microsoft site and paste it in..

Also there is only 1 currency format control per value..
    thanks

i fixed george's link
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Oh dear - that was a straight copy paste from the site!
    Try it again now.
    Code:
    Nz(variant, [valueifnull])
    EDIT: Thank you Rudy! You beat me to it
    George
    Home | Blog

Thanks

I appreciate..take care