Unanswered: Error -2147467259: The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you

Error Number: -2147467259
    Error Description: The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.

Problem:
    I cannot open ANY Microsoft Access database files (*.mdb) UNLESS it was created by my database program or on my computer using MS Access.

What I attempted:
    1) Check my connection string for spelling errors
    2) Ran Microsoft Update (No updates found)
    3) Ran Microsoft Component Checker (found errors with version numbers)
    3a) Replaced marked files with ones that had the expected version number
    4) Downloaded and manually installed Jet 4.0 SP8 (Failed - Setup has detected that the service pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying.)

Software versions:
    Windows XP SP2
    Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise
    MS Office Samll Business 2007 (Access not included)
    MS Access 2000

Other:
    I installed MDAC 2.8 and then tried to install Jet 4.0 SP8. Checking the MDAC version reports that it is at 2.7 instead of 2.8

Problem (clarification):
    I cannot open ANY Microsoft Access database files (*.mdb) UNLESS it was created by my database program or on my computer using MS Access. What do I need to do to be able to open any MS Access database I get?

Thanks,
    Yme

P.S.: I also posted this on Xtremevbtalk.com here

Provided Answers: 10
    Check your security settings in Access.
    I reckon your PC is only accepting certificated applications - obviously apps created by you are self-certificated but if they're from another unknown source it's having a bit of a complain.

Anyhow, let us know how you get one!
    And thanks for posting the link
    George
    Home | Blog

Security? Define Security.

Security? *Yme looks up definition of security in a dictionary for boss*

The only security this database has is being located somewhere other than in the My Documents folder. There are no passwords or user names associated with this database or certificates. None of the computers are setup to use certificates or any type of user name/passwords on any of the office documents. The only user name/password required for anything where I'm at is used to logon to the computer in the morning.

I used this opportunity to (finally) get approval to switch the database to MySQL.

While going through the backups, I discovered that this database does have a password but it is being ignored when the database is opened. Could this be the cause of some of my problems?

Anyhow, let us know how you get one!
    If you mean get the database, it is stored on my computer and shared using Windows File and Printer Sharing.
    Last edited by Yme; 09-12-07 at 12:00.

Still having problems importing/exporting data from any MS Access 2000 database but I'm gonna put this problem off to the side for now. My boss wants me to switch all of the databases from Access to MySQl so I'll be busy with that for a week or so.

Thanks for the help

Provided Answers: 10
    By security I did not mean password... I think it is more commonly described as "sandbox" mode, but I can't be sure...

Anyhow - open any db and go to "Tools > Macros > Security" and take a look at the settings in there.
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    Anyhow - open any db and go to "Tools > Macros > Security" and take a look at the settings in there.
    I have Access 2000 which doesn't have that menu item, Access 2003 does.