Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: SQL Server Data transfer

Ive have a website on SQL Server 2005 on my Localhost, that I need to transfer to a live test server, in MYSQL you can use dump to get the SQL script,can I do this in SQL server? If so how? if not how do I transfer the DB?

Provided Answers: 54
    The easy answer is to use the SQL Management Studio to backup your database to a flat file (just like a MySQL dump), copy the file to the production server, then use the SQL Management Studio to restore the backup file.

There are other answers, this is just point-and-click easy.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 1
    Sounds good,

just had a click round i'm guessing you mean the .bak files, So on the the server use the restore from database function.

Just as an Extra I found How to export the table structure without the actual Data. And a way to create CSV files, but is there a way to create data scripts, INSERT into...

Did u try using Swissql Datamigration tool ,If not try it . Visit their link for details(swissql.com) .

Hi, Pat:

May I do the operation you recommend in SQL Server 2000? Thnaks

ZYT

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    The easy answer is to use the SQL Management Studio to backup your database to a flat file (just like a MySQL dump), copy the file to the production server, then use the SQL Management Studio to restore the backup file.

There are other answers, this is just point-and-click easy.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 54
    Yes, you can. If you have only SQL 2000 client tools installed then you can use SQL Enterprise Manager. If you have SQL 2005 client tools installed, then you can use SQL Management Studio to backup/restore a databsse on a SQL 2000 server.

-PatP