Unanswered: Subform problems

Hello,

I am trying to set up a form that replicates what the Calls form in the Contacts Management template database does.

I have set up two subforms:- a RecordBookMovement subform and a RBNotes subform and placed them in my main 'Calls' form (which is called RecordBookMovements form).

I want users to be able to type information in data view at the top of the form and add notes related to a record showing at the bottom.

The problem that I am having is that when I tab down to the Notes field at the bottom and try to type something in there, I get an error message that says:

You can't assign a value to this object
    * The object may be a control on a read-only form
    * The object may be a form that is open in Design view
    * The value may be too large for this field

I figure this is because the record hasn't been saved yet because if I close out of the form then go back into it, it will let me add text to the Notes field. So I have put code in the OnEnter procedure of the Notes subform that says the following:

Code:
        If IsNull(Me![RecordBookID]) Then
          Me![RecordBookMovement Subform].Form![ReceiveDate] = Date
          DoCmd.GoToControl "RecordBookMovement Subform"
          DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70
          DoCmd.GoToControl "RBNotes Subform"
        End If
    ...but it still doesn't work. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,
    Bronwyn

Provided Answers: 10
    Nobody's had a stab at this one yet so why don't you upload the relevant parts of your db so people can take a lookie.
    George
    Home | Blog

Some instructions please

Okay,

How do I upload the relevant parts of the database, and what do you need? Should I just put up the forms, or do you need the underlying tables as well?

Bronwyn

Provided Answers: 10
    Create a new database with nothing in it. Then from your existing db right click the objects relevant to the problem and select "Export..."

Once you've got that sorted, zip the file up and then come back here. Click on "Post Reply" (or "Go Advanced" by the quick reply box) and chose to "Manage Attachments". Upload and job's a good'un!
    George
    Home | Blog