Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    25

    Unanswered: Trouble With Packaging Runtime Version Of Access

    I am running windows XP pro. I packaged an mde application I built using a developers version of Access XP. When I built the package, and runtime version of access, I included system files. Everything should have been OK. Should have been being the operative phrase.

    I tested the installation on a 2nd PC with XP home edition. I received an error message that the application could not be installed because the OS needed to be windows NT 2000 with sp4 or greater. To Verify that the installation should have gone without a hitch, I loaded a full version of Access XP, on the same pc, and it loaded just fine.

    Thinking something may have happened during packaging, I re-packaged the app, and tried it on another PC with XP Pro, and received the same error.

    Does anyone have any ideas on what might be going wrong?
    Kirk Wahl
    GM Powertrain SMCO

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    3,926
    Maybe this link will help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842004

    I'm guessing the MSAccess run-time file needs to be installed in a specific directory which can be accessed via the path. It's difficult to say though without knowing if it's the run-time file causing problems (which seems most likely since your app works after installing Access.)

    Something you could try would be to manually copy the run-time file and your app onto a new computer without MSAccess and then try to run it as there's also the possibility something could be wrong with your deployment package (maybe it's not installing the run-time file in the correct folder.).
    Last edited by pkstormy; 09-23-07 at 20:07.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    25
    Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. I have tried to run the app several ways but was unable to get it to function. I looked at the package, as well as the .cab files, and cannot find anything amiss. The only problem I can see is that I distinctly unchecked the include IE 5.1 option, and the files are still in the package.

    I have tried unsuccessfully to find any information concerning this problem on the web. I finally logged into MSDN, and sent the question to their guru's. We'll see what they have to say.
    Kirk Wahl
    GM Powertrain SMCO

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    3,926
    If you manuallly copy the run-time file to the correct folder and your application mde/mdb file to the harddrive, does it work? (Note: you may need to assocaite the mdb/mde files to the run-time MSAccess file.)
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    108
    This will fix your problem. I had the exact same problem and this fixed it.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837150

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    25
    I needed the answer immediately, so I paid Microsoft to get that work around. I love it, there is a bug in their program, and they charge me $245 to fix it.

    I do thank you for your help though.
    Kirk Wahl
    GM Powertrain SMCO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •