Unanswered: Converting Powerbuilder to Access

Hello All,

I have a database that was created using Powerbuilder. I would like to convert this database to Access. Does anybody know of a program / procedure that can directly / indirectly convert to Access?

Thanks!

If it's Powerbuilder, what are the backend tables created in? As I recall, Powerbuilder doesn't have the ability to store tables and uses some other backend for it's tables (ie. SQL Server). Or is it just the front-end you want to convert? I don't know of any utilties to convert a Powerbuilder front-end to an Access front-end.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 09-23-07 at 01:40.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

I'm not sure how the database was created. This is something that I inherited. What I would like to do is extract the data stored in the .db file and transfer that data to access. Databases are not my forte so I'm sorry to say that I'm ignorant concerning front end and back end.

Thanks for replying.

So the question is where is the data stored in since Powerbuilder is not a database server where it would store the tables and data? I'm guessing your data is stored in SQL Server but it could be Oracle, MySQL, etc...but the data tables are not stored in Powerbuilder. If you find out where the data is stored, let us know.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 09-23-07 at 16:58.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

I have a little more information here. The version of Powerbuilder is Powerbuilder 7.0 Enterprise. I believe the database server is SQL because I see the SQL icon on the bottom bar when I fire up the program.

Would I need a program that can handle SQL?

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 59
    The version of powerbuilder is effectively irrelevant, as people are stating power builder is a mechanism for developing a front end for data stored elsewhere in some other format, external to powerbuilder.

so you need to know what and where the data is being stored. Im guessing it could be virtually any SQL server backend. SQL is a language for manipulating data it in itself is not a product, although Microsoft were a bit cute calling their server product line SQL server, Microsofts server product is not the or even a defintive SQL product.

once you know how and where the data is being retrieved then you could connect to that data from Access. However effectively you are starting again from scratch as effectively your Access app is going to be replicating the powerbuilder app... Unless its totally banjaxed and wrecked it would be a better starting point than trying to develop a new app in Access.

Access like most front end RAD tools can talk to SQL data stores, so if you have access you can talk SQL
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks!

I have the database copied on a CD stored in file with the extension '.db'. So Access should be able to retrieve this? When I tried to import the data I saw no option for a .db file in the drop down menu. Should I try to rename the extension?