Thread: Comparing RDBMS

Unanswered: Comparing RDBMS

Hi,

maybe who knows a good link where is comparing MySQL, MaxDB, PostgreSQL performance? Or just write your opinion about this question. I mean which RDBMS is better or faster for SELECT INSERT UPDATE DELETE queries.

Provided Answers: 59
    WWGS
    (what would google say?)
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 54
    Interestingly enough, DBForums (which runs on MySQL) seems to have lost my previous response to this thread without so much as a hickup (no MySQL errors of any kind to account for the lost data).

The "best" database is the one that most closely meets the needs of a given project. This implies that the answer can be different for every project, depending on the needs and the resources available for that project.

As long as I can contrive the speed test, I can make any of the databases you've specified the fastest for any given operation. As long as I can contrive the test, I can make the traditional "flat binary" file signficantly faster than any database engine. Without a clearer definition of how you want the speed measured, your question has no meaning.

While this is no help answering your question, TPC is the accepted standard for database performance and they have a top 10 list. Oracle has the highest TCP value and four of the top ten rankings. The DB2 database from IBM has five of the top ten. Microsoft SQL Server has the remaining top ten ranked solution in terms of TCP.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 54
    In reference to my previous post in this thread, if you can give us better definitions of what you want to know, maybe we can help you find the information that you want. Then again, healdm's idea of using Google isn't bad either!

-PatP

I agree wholeheartedly with Pat. That being said, here's a page with links to several different rdms comparisons. Take it with a grain of salt (esp. as some of the links may be outdated.)
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert