Unanswered: Writing to Excel from Access

In a previous job I was using Visual Basic Version 6 to create an Excel Workbook Object. I then used VB6 to write data to the workbook object and manipulate the data using within it.

These days I am using Access quit heavyly and would like to be able to create an Excel Workbook Object and write data to it and manipulate data within it just as I did in VB6 but instead using Access VBA. Is this possiable??

As I recall I had to install a library of Excel objects/methods in VB6 to support writing to Excel. Will I have to install some other library under Access VBA to do this??

Thanks for your help....

Provided Answers: 10
    In the VBA edi0tor go to "Tools" >> "References"
    George
    Home | Blog

there are several early-bind (reference required) and late-bind (no reference required) export-to-XLS methods documented in the codebank.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Provided Answers: 59
    I thought Pootle Flump had contributed soem Excel automation stuff int he code bank.. that might be worth a look

you can drive Excel (or any other VBA backed application (including some of the CAD programs) from Access (or any orther VBA backed application)

as georgev says have a look at the references on your PC. A word of warning if you develop such an app its nearly always version specific.. so it won't work straight away with a different version of MS Office. Sometimes 'all' you have to do is to change the references in the application.. again I think Georgev has some interesting stuff in the code bank), sometimes you have to have version specific code.

I found driving Excel from Access useful and effective, but a good way going terminally mad. It can take a heck of a long time to get the finesse, the look and feel, that spreadsheet users were demanding from Access data
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

late-binding sidesteps version issues (ummm - provided that the functionality you are using exists in the version you are talking to)

go to the code bank.

izy

LATER: grammar correction
    currently using SS 2008R2