Unanswered: Connect to IBM UniVerse from MS Access

I need to connect to an IBM UniVerse database from MS Access. The simple ODBC connect wizard does not work. The database I'm trying to connect to is on the backend of some software that was not well designed. They put over 255 fields in one table! For this reason when I use the simple connect wizard, I only get the first 255 fields and I need access to some of the other fields. Can anyone tell me the code I should use to open a connection to an IBM UniVerse database so I can then use sql to only pull the fields I want?

If you have the driver for the db then you can set up a DSN or use the connection string to get your connection established. What method are you using to connect? ADO or DAO? Also, to get to those columns past 255, you'll need to issue a query to retrieve those columns and hope and pray that your provider can do that.

You can see example connection strings at www.connectionstrings.com
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

RE: Connect to IBM UniVerse from MS Access

Hi Owen,
    Thank you for your reply. To be honest, I'm not sure whether I'm using ado or dao. The only way I've been able to get any connection is through the wizard in access and I'm not sure how it works behind the scenes. I have tried doing a query, after I have set up the connection, to pull the other fields. Unfortunately, it does not work. If I specify a field in the SQL statement that is past field 255, it is not recognized.

Provided Answers: 10
    Isn't the 255 column one of Access' limitations? Or is that just co-incidence coupled with naivity?
    George
    Home | Blog

Yes, the 255 column limit is an Access thing. Basically I'm trying to figure out how to get it to let me choose which columns to bring in, instead of bringing in the first 255 by default.