Unanswered: Applying Service Packs

Are there any guidelines or best practices for deploying or testing Service Packs? What types of tests should be performed prior to upgrading or do I just trust Microsoft?

Provided Answers: 11
    I always put them on test machines first for a month or so. Enough time that some applications have had a testing cycle, anyway. If there are no major complaints, the first production guinea pig is selected, and watched for a week. If no major problems come up, then the rest of the machines get it. never trust Microsoft. They are human, too...well, half human.

That's the way to do it. We have dev, test, and production environments. Dev gets the release 1st, and if no one screams after a couple of weeks, we apply it to test. Again, the absence of any wailing and gnashing of teeth means we move to production.

Plus, an added benefit is that you get to practice the install in case something goes horribly wrong (oh my ... would that ever happen?)

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Read release notes

Definitely agree with the two previous posters. In addition, read the release notes, particularly if you have a clustered environment or one where you use replication (upgrades MUST be done in a certain order when replication is involved)

Lempster

Thank you all!! Pretty much thought so, but just wanted to see how others were handling it.