Unanswered: increased database size, but then load a database dump that was taken prior

We had a request today to increase database size, but then load a database dump that was taken prior the the database resize ( / db size increase via alter database).

Are there any issues that can take place by loading a database dump that was taken prior to increasing the database size (i.e. new sybase data device and log device)?

Provided Answers: 1
    After the load you might have to drop the logsegment from the "new" device

If the difference in size is large then you could save time by dropping and recreating the smaller database for load, else the load could spend a long time clearing the unused (new) pages.

increased database size, but then load a database dump that was taken prior...

Thanks a million for your feedback and ideas.

Hmmm... the issue is that they want to keep the database at it's new size. Yet they want to load an old database dump that was taken prior the "alter database" / database resize.

If I load an old database dump into a database that has been altered since, will it cause problems?

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ftmjr
    If I load an old database dump into a database that has been altered since, will it cause problems?
    No problems

Great news! :)

Thank you! Sincerely appreciate your help.

Hi Pdreyer,

why do you recmmend dropping the logsegment on the newly created device?

As long as the sysusages entries match b/w old and new db up until the allocation of the smaller db, you can load a smaller db to a larger db.