Question Unanswered: Can a new Printer Change my Report Format

I have several Access reports that push the boundaries on the legal landscape page to the limit. I export the information to text files, the reports are never printed. After we got a new shared printer, when I edit every report, the green error flag tells me that the report's width is greater than the page width. Each similar report that I have been using for over a year has the same error.
    Question: Can our new and improved network lazer printer do this to a report and cause Access to change the page from legal-size to letter-size? This happened the first time I looked at the reports after the printer was installed.
    When I change the page back to legal landscape (the way it was the last time I ran the report) several columns of the rightmost data are pushed into a second page.

Jerry

Yes...I have seen similar things happen. Sometimes it just might be a print driver that needs updating or a setting on the printer. If you are not printing the files why don't you try using Microsoft Document Writer (or whatever it's called) or use a PDF virtual printer.

C

Printers have always been an issue with Access, especially installing a new "default" printer. I've even seen errors when trying to compile due to a specific default printer selected (when I changed the default printer, everything compiled ok.) If one user has a certain default printer setup and another user has a different default printer, you will find that the report margin's need to be reset for the 2nd user. You can open the report, click page setup, change the margin's and "Save" the report to establish the new page setup or change the default printer to what it was before things changed. Sometimes it's best to use a generic type default printer consistent for all users. There also is vba code which let's you specify which printer to use for a report.

Since it sounds like you have many reports already configured to a certain printer, you may want to consider changing the default printer (either in the Control Pane -> Printer Setup or via vba code.) You may also be able to set the printer margins, etc...via vba code when the report opens.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Keep in mind, printers have different capabilities. Some printers cannot print on legal paper (does not apply in this case). Also I have 18 printers that are the same model. But I know from experience that each some printers can print within .25 of the edge of the page and others can only print to .3 of the edge.

I have loaded the same firmware, am using the same printer driver, and I am using the same operating system. But in some case it differs. Therefore what I have had to do is to format my reports for the .3 printers so that all of the printers look the same.

If everyone has access to all of your printers, then in Page Setup you can set a specific report to print to a specific printer. That is what I have done as well. The only issue there, is that all of the printers have to be named the same on each user's system. If one user has Printer1 setup and the other has PrinterOne setup then you will get an error message informing the user that the report was setup for Printer1 not PrinterOne.

Thank you for your responses. Let me clarify that there is no printing involved. I use the reports as a convenient way to arrange information in legal-landscape and export to custom Excel reports. My misfortune is that the new state-of-the-art printer my company installed has caused several columns of data to be pushed to a second (legal-size) page. I would need to truncate fields to compensate for this, so I'll have to develop a new way to prepare a wide block of data, which incudes summary data in the report heading followed by detail rows, for use in Excel.

Jerry

you don't need to print.
    reports are formatted for a printer whether or not you physically print.

experiment: if you have a printer that allows custom paper-size, setup a custom paper size of 2 x 2 cm, set it as default...
    ...now try and make any report work!

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

This combination of settings seems to have restored the report format that I lost with the installation of a new printer: Under Page Setup, Size = 11 x 17 Then in the columns tab, I reduced the width from 16.7" to 16.5". The data is not wrapped to a second page as it was before.
    Jerry