Provided Answers: 4

Unanswered: Delegate rights to certain logins

As a busy DBA/Sysadmin I'd like to be able to delegate some tasks to some of my coworkers:
    - passwordresets for a select group of logins (only for a certain application, no setting rights on objects)
    - killing certain processes

Is there some way to process these kind of things in some sort of program/cmd-file so that they select the option/action they want to perform, and things get done? They should not be able to log in with the sysadmin-account this program is using in the database and perform all those dreaded commands they don't know about what it does.
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

read up on roles ..

Quote Originally Posted by stuarta
    read up on roles ..
    I know the sso-role can be used for passwordresets and such, but if a person has the sso-role, he can reset mine too, and that should not happen. I want to be able to give him rights to reset passwords for a select group of logins.
    As far as I know, with roles you can only grant select/insert/delete/etc-rights, not specific things like security.

Provided Answers: 1
    Maybe you can write your own stored proc that check against a table of valid users then use rob's method to execute the 'sa' commands

Quote Originally Posted by pdreyer
    Maybe you can write your own stored proc that check against a table of valid users then use rob's method to execute the 'sa' commands
    That was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction!