Unanswered: Why is my Combo box drop down blank

Anyone,
    I have a combo box with the Row source assigned to a job number column in an excel sheet/table which is linked to a Fox Pro data base. The link is working right and refreshing ever 24 hrs. The cbo box was working (able to select a current job number) and now its blank-(the drop down window has thousands of rows when you scrol down but there are no numbers to select). Am I missing somthing stupid?? FYI there are 27000 rows of data in the linked table. Is that two much information to pull for a cbo box.

This may be a silly question, but do you have each column showing in the properties box of the combo box? For example 0.5";1.5",1.25".
    Kirk Wahl
    GM Powertrain SMCO

Re:Re: Why is my Combo box drop down blank

Yeah, I'm referencing 9 columnls from the linked table. If I open the column withs in the drop down I can see the data for 4 of the 9 columns (I don't understand why its not all there). I've even checked the column heads field to ensure that there column was present. It shows the header but no data. It was working last week.

Provided Answers: 10
    You have a combobox that's supposed to show 27K records in it?

Not only will that be very performance heavy, but really not user friendly either!
    George
    Home | Blog

Why is my Combo box drop down blank

FYI - this is for an MRB (Defect data base). My intentions are not for the user to have to scroll through the list and select the job number. They simply have to type the job number in the cbo box and then I have 5 other txt boxes that will populate with the associated information listed in the job numbers row from the linked table (order qty, part desc, part number, etc.) . This information is then stored in a table for reporting. Is there a better way to do this and still capture all the associated info in a table based on the form??

Provided Answers: 10
    combobox with 27K records?!
    If the user knows the job number then perhaps it is best to set up a search facility?
    I have recently created a project which used late binding and ADO to bring back results from an SQL Server database. I set up a set of search boxes and when the user clicked "search" an SQL statement was built dynamically (recent thread on such a thing!) and the results are returned to a listbox object.

User can then select an item on the listbox and then the corresponding details are returned to other controls on the form.

So instead of returning 27 THOUSAND records to populate your combobox - you can reduce the number by refining the criteria

I hope that makes some sort of sense, if not I blame the tiredness and toothache for effecting my brainbox.
    George
    Home | Blog

I can't say I'v heard good things about the DLookup but maybe that would be best for my needs?? I haven't had any luck with writing that code though- any ideas? All I really need is for 5 txt boxes to populate with the associated data contained in the linked table corresponding to a job number entered into a form field. The job number is also listed in the linked table which will provide the row ID/key from/index to obtain the associated row data. I can't simply chenge the txt box controls for need the information to then populate another table based on the form entries. The link you sent was interesting however i'm rather new to the VBA language (i know a little).

From what you're describing, it sounds like you've linked in the Excel sheet (or Fox Pro db table). Have you tried deleting and relinking in the table again (or refreshing the linked table(s)?)

Other than that, I'd look to see if perhaps there is a ; (or other odd character) in any field where the blank record fields begin which could cause the columns to be off in the combobox, causing some of the column fields to be blank. Are the blank fields always on specific records?

If you're going to consider using the dlookup command, do a dlookup on a query which has criteria (ie. JobNumber = Forms!MyForm!JobNumber). The dlookup works much faster looking up data in a query which returns 1 record of information verses a dlookup which looks up values in a 27,000 record table and criteria that is embedded in the dlookup command itself.
    For example: This...
    =dlookup("[SomeValue]","qrySpecificJobNumber")
    verses this...
    =dlookup("[SomeValue]","MyJobTable","[JobNumber] = " & Forms!MyForm!JobNumber & "")
    especially if you need to utilize the dlookup to lookup multiple values for that specific job number.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 10-04-07 at 11:23.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Yes, twice now....