Hello and does anyone have a flashlight?

Hi all,

I am a total DB noob and lost. I hope to find some answers here on what would be the best database for my 6 man retail business.

Anyway, glad to be here.

Rick

Welcome to the forum Rick!

With regards to your question, the more information you provide, the better the answer can be. What do you want from your database? Do you want a front end? What is your budget? etc etc.
    George
    Home | Blog

Thanks for the welcome.

I am looking for basically an all in one solution if that is possible (something like NetSuites, but I've heard this is a horrible solution)

I foremost need a inventory solution that will allow me to upload everything in our catalogs for instore and web viewing (100k of products very likely). I would also like to allow all users (in store sales, internet, and owner) to be able to see how much of any product is in stock. On top of that I would like to have automated inventory controls for re-supply and for special orders over the internet or instore. I would also like to be able to see who sold what products for a specific date.

I would like internet users to be able to see retail and sale pricing, while employess are able to retail, sale and volume pricing. As an operator I would like to see all of these things plus our actual cost for the item.

I would also like for it to deal with accounts recievable, paid accounts, past due accounts, total revenue from sales vs total product sold vs cost of products sold. I would also like to have automated checks, for cutting payroll, supplies, and restocking.

I would also like the system to be able to store customer information (telephone, name, address, payment preferences, product discount level). If the system could produce shipping labels, bills of lading, etc that for internet and instore orders that would be great as well.

Customer support, so that customers and employees could track packages sent, what was sent, etc would be good as well.

I would like to be able to run specials on items and see what the results were all from one screen shot.

As for how much I am willing to pay would be directly tied to how much the system can do for me and if it actually works as advertised. With that said, I would like to be under 6k for the entire setup.

Thanks for the help out.

The extremely Royal borough of Kensington, London
    Quote Originally Posted by RickB
    does anyone have a flashlight?
    No, sorry.

You may like to try searching on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...hlight&x=0&y=0

Regards,
    Bessie Braddock: Winston, you are drunk!
    Churchill: And Madam, you are ugly. And tomorrow, I'll be sober, and you will still be ugly.

The extremely Royal borough of Kensington, London
    Quote Originally Posted by RickB
    With that said, I would like to be under 6k for the entire setup.
    Oh dear. It looks as though you will have to visit the PHP and mySQL forum, with a budget that low.

I remember when a change to update the value of a single column for one row in a rather static table, would be billed at $50k.
    Bessie Braddock: Winston, you are drunk!
    Churchill: And Madam, you are ugly. And tomorrow, I'll be sober, and you will still be ugly.