Unanswered: Help with Report

Hi guys,
    I can't figure out how to report this:

I'm creating a small database that will capture our staff's computer and Outlook skill level. My table/form consists of four basic columns:
    Last Name, First Name, Basic Computer Skills, Outlook Skills.

On the two skill columns, the staff will answer one of five choices; Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor, None.

I have to put this on an Access Report. My boss wants to know how many people answered for each of the categories and how many and a percentage by each of the skill level choices.

Thanks in advance!

You can assign a numeric value of 1-5 to each of the possible answers. then put together a report that orders by name. Under the skill levels divide their answer into the max possible value of 5. Multiply this result by 100, that will give you a percentage for the report.
    Kirk Wahl
    GM Powertrain SMCO

Thanks,

I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning

Quote Originally Posted by aldankirk
    You can assign a numeric value of 1-5 to each of the possible answers. then put together a report that orders by name. Under the skill levels divide their answer into the max possible value of 5. Multiply this result by 100, that will give you a percentage for the report.

I added the numeric value to the answers, however, I cannot get the report to order by name (sort by groups)

Can you explain a little more... I'm relatively new to Access.

Ty

Have you created the report using a query, or using VBA behind the report?

If you have used a query, open the report in design view. Under properties, open the query. The field directly below Name is the table name. In the box under the table name, choose ascending, or descending. This will allow you to sort by name.

You can also order by name using the sorting and grouping button on the report design tool bar. Open the report in design view. The sorting and grouping button should be to the right of the toolbox button. The toolbox button is the one that looks like a wrench and hammer. When you open the sorting and grouping box, click on the down arrow under field/expression. Now choose Name from the list. Next, under the sort order section choose either ascending or descending. Close the close the sorting and grouping box. Now go back to the report, and place the name field under the newly created name section. When this has been completed, place the other necessary fields under the detail section of your report.

That should give you the report you are looking for.
    Last edited by aldankirk; 10-05-07 at 09:27.
    Kirk Wahl
    GM Powertrain SMCO

Thanks!

I was able to figure it out based on your instructions.