Unanswered: new cluster drive not showing up

I've added a new drive to a clustered instance of sql 2000. Go to the node the instance is active on, the drive shows up. But...try to add a backup device that lives on the new drive (which was, after all, the whole point of the exercise) and SQL Server is blind to that drive. I have vague recollections of it recognizing the clustered drives when i set up all this a couple years ago. Could it be that it recognizes all the drives it'll ever recognize at the moment of installation? Anybody know?

thanks,
    Garth

Provided Answers: 54
    No, SQL Server 2000 surveys the available devices (including local drives) when the SQL Server Service starts. You'll need to restart the SQL service after all of the servers in the cluster recognize the new drive in order for SQL Server to recognize the drive.

-PatP

no dice

ah, i bounced the sql service (and the agent too for luck), sql server still fails to see the new cluster drive...

Provided Answers: 11
    Is the new drive a member of the cluster group?

Provided Answers: 54
    I just re-read your posting literally, and I think I see the problem.

Lets say that you have three physical servers supporting a single virtual server. So you have p1, p2, and p3 that together form c1. SQL Server actually runs on c1, regardless of whch physical box is currently hosting c1.

I would suggest that you review KB article # 318534 that describes Best Practices for how to allocate drive letters for a clustered server. Be sure to keep in mind that the local drive letter on the physical box and the cluster drive letter are two completely different things.

-PatP

Edited to fix a typo
    Last edited by Pat Phelan; 10-04-07 at 18:40.

yes. but the the sqlserver resource doesn't have a dependency on the new cluster drive (even though it's in the group). from what i gather from other sources it looks like that dependency needs to exist for the sql server to notice the drive. or that's my current theory. i'll have to schedule (another) short production down to test the theory.

Quote Originally Posted by garth
    yes. but the the sqlserver resource doesn't have a dependency on the new cluster drive (even though it's in the group). from what i gather from other sources it looks like that dependency needs to exist for the sql server to notice the drive. or that's my current theory. i'll have to schedule (another) short production down to test the theory.
    Bing!

That will do it.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?